Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 1 votes

Random Derpy Observations Upon Returning

derp!

  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Lunacy Polish

Lunacy Polish

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Because I am an insane person and a huge derp, I have decided to end my sabbatical and resume playing GW2 at least for a time.   I hope my derpness amuses someone slightly in a parrallel universe where things that aren't funny amuse people.

Upon logging in for about an hour yesterday, I saw much and observed more:

1.  Pretty!  I just got a much better monitor, much higher color contrast, 1080p and all that, bigger size, etc.  Makes me appreciate the graphics more.  I had no idea how much my old piece of crap was holding me back.

2.  I had hoped by now that Ascended items would be available for WvW badges, since that’s the only currency I seem to collect in any meaningful quantity.  It doesn’t seem that this is the case, though perhaps I am wrong.  I often hope to be the party who is in error and this is one of those times.

3.  I am theorizing that the fact all my craft skills are obsolete now means I’m supposed to buy gold with gems and buy overpriced mats from the TP and max those out and THEN maybe afford Ascended tier items.  I haven’t checked so tell me if I’m off target on that one.  But if I am in fact at least partially correct, that’s a big No Thank You.

Are we still ragging on the Cox box?  Is that still a thing?  Because this looks like a giant Cox box to me.

But I’m not really surprised, they screwed the pooch when they didn’t separate WvW gear and PvE gear at the onset of the game and it’s too late now.

4.  I also realized some other odd things.  In the WvW borderlands, only the first collection of a resource counts toward the daily.  You have to go to a PvE zone to get credit for each item gathered.  Or at least I had to, I hope this is a bug.  Please tell me this is a bug.

I do not care for this change at all if it's legit.  I will grant you it’s not that hard to run out Lion’s Arch and hit some nodes and that there are other parts of the daily you can just as easily do instead, but still not a fan of this.  I hope it’s a bug, or I was just harvesting it wrong through the amazing power of my sheer derpitude?

5.  Also… same maps?  Still?  Really?  Okay not shocked, but they could have at least adjusted some of the contours.  There’s a new thing with controlling ruins at least, that’s something.  It’s not a lot but it’s something.  Something derpy.

6.  It appears I am like 120+ WXP ranks behind the curve.  Ecks Dee. Fortunately they’ve kept these abilities niche enough it’s okay to be behind the power curve.

7.  They changed the interface on me.  Please tell me someone if you can still track how far along you are on an achievement on screen any more like you used to with the old interface and I’m just being my usual derpy self?

8.  It’s ironic.  I’ve mained a Warrior for my initial foray, and I remember when it was the true bottom of the barrel profession everyone laughed at and for good reason because all it offered was pure damage for dungeon runs if specced and built a particular way.  Now it’s climbed to the top of the meta, like in the early beta.  Figures!

9.  Sweet Okie of Muskogee, I have forgotten how to play this game.  I’m as clumsy, slow and awkward as I was in the beta.  I was never an amazing player but I was marginally competent enough to stage a decent fight half the time, and gee whiz this is over the top bad.  How do I shot web indeed. It’s back to noobtown for me!

Okay in all fairness part of it is I came back on a character I haven’t played in a long time that’s not intuitive to play, whose spec I was working on, and whose gear is terrible.  That’s going to be a little rough for anyone and harder still on a derp.  But still!

10. Also, we are now literally picking up luck.  Okay I thought picking up good karma was a good meta joke and kind of clever, but picking up good luck kind of broke my brain.  I’m not even sure what to do with it, it’s an Artificer ingredient but for what?  I need to find out what this stuff is this week, I’m sure it’s on the wiki, I just haven’t looked yet.

I almost don’t want to know, I’m so enraptured with this bizarre universe where luck is not only objectively real, it is literally found on the ground as a solid object.  The fact that something so marvelous exists in the same universe as Derper Boy Prime (aka Trahearne) is astonishing.

11. OMG AoE looting!  I don’t remember this from before but it’s awesome!  Well really you ought to auto loot any wallet type items (there’s no inventory space consumed so why not automatically pick up every one you come across?) so it’s not perfect, but big improvement nonetheless.

12.  Still not sure how I feel about the checklist based game play.  I will grant you I had done most of the daily incidentally, but I had to go to places I normally wouldn’t to finish it.  I will further grant this took all of ten minutes, but still.

Anyway those 12 derptastic observations aside, I decided to actually gear up and play that Necromancer of mine and see how much I can derp the place up.  That character never really got a chance the first time after all, I just sort of leveled it and it sat there most of the time.  I might still pay attention to dailies and maybe work up my wee little engi some, but I dunno if I feel that ambitious any more.

I actually did have fun playing, even in my awful piecemeal gear, and figured out traits I can live with.   I got whooped pretty bad though, only constant Death Shroud usage and Staff 5 kept me alive at all.

Come on trading post, work your magic for me while I’m out and about and offline today.  Even in all blue pieces, I would actually be able to do some DPS without all my points scattered onto random places on the character sheet.  Amazing what happens when you actually add several hundred points to a few attributes that actually do something rather a few dozen points to a bunch that do nothing.

Of course, today I learn I’m going to be out of town next week so no GW2 for me.  Awesome, I resolve to get started again and immediately I’m back to not playing.

I think this sets the tone for Phase 2 of my GW2 playing experience.  Phase 1 was dubbed “Mistakes Were Made.”  

I shall dub the second phase “The Derp Era” because I am going to willfully play like a derp on purpose this time in my craptastic Exotics and maybe I’ll follow the checklists, maybe I won’t, won’t that be exciting as we play GW2 by its new Dungeons and Dragons type moniker: Checklists and Coxboxes!

Incidentally, yes there will eventually be a further sabbatical and a Phase 3, yet to be titled.  Phase 3 is usually marked by a solid month of participation before realizing I’m playing that damn game I swore to quit forever.

All that said, anything a newly returning derp like me should know about?  Can anyone at least please tell me why the resource gathering for the daily is borked now?  Is that actually a thing or was I just an unlucky derp?

#2 Andemius

Andemius

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 672 posts
  • Guild Tag:[herd]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 07 January 2014 - 08:44 PM

1. Think there's been some optimizations made to the gfx of recent.

2. Nope. You can get asc amulets and rings for a lesser amount of whatever they require in pve if you subsidize it with Badges.

3. You need to level your craft to 500 now (not exactly cheap). From 450 (i think) you can start crafting the ascended materials needed to make your item. Saying we need to buy gold with gems seems a tad of an overreaction, I'm by no means weathly in game, in fact I'd probably class as poor if we were to do a survey. I still have 4 asc weapons and 1 piece of armor. It just takes time. Also these can drop from champions.

4. That sounds like a bug to me, I was able to do my daily gathering in wvw earlier.

5. There's a new overflow map which doesn't count towards points coming soon (apparently).

6. Bang on. It doesn't really matter. The stacks are nice for roaming but not really an issue.

7. The Hero Achieves interface is changed. You can still track a % by clicking watch and it will appear top right.

8. Yeah warrior is OP. Anet doesn't seem to care.

9. Idk, practice makes perfect?

10. Karma is now harder to acquire in large amounts. Luck is a consumable which will increase your Magic Find %. It is there to replace the MF items which have had their statlines removed.

11. Yep, Aoe loot is nice.

12. Well, as you said, most of the daily can be done by actually playing, and the small portion you might miss will take you 10mins out of your way if that.

Hope you enjoy your return.

#3 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 07 January 2014 - 09:21 PM

I missed you Lunacy Polish. Welcome back, if even for a fleeting moment. Have fun in game!

#4 Beyond Freedom

Beyond Freedom

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 247 posts
  • Location:In your dreams.
  • Profession:Thief

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:46 PM

View PostAndemius, on 07 January 2014 - 08:44 PM, said:

3. You need to level your craft to 500 now (not exactly cheap). From 450 (i think) you can start crafting the ascended materials needed to make your item. Saying we need to buy gold with gems seems a tad of an overreaction, I'm by no means weathly in game, in fact I'd probably class as poor if we were to do a survey. I still have 4 asc weapons and 1 piece of armor. It just takes time. Also these can drop from champions.

Perhaps I am missing something. The cost of crafting a Zojja's Short Bow, once you have levelled your craft to 500 and bought the recipe, break down as follows (TC prices correct at time of going to press):

10 Globs of Dark Matter (~10g)
15 Orichalcum Ingot (7.8g)
10 Ancient Wood Plank (14g)
5 Vial of Powerful Blood (1.7g)
18 Glob of Ectoplasm (6.1g)
20 Pile of Crystalline Dust (3.6g)
380 Thermocatalytic Reagent (5.7g)
140 Soft Wood Plank (7.2g)
70 Seasoned Wood Plank (2g)
140 Hard Wood Plank (3.6g)
350 Elder Wood Plank (5.5g)
60 Cured Thin Leather Square (0.2g)
30 Cured Coarse Leather Square (0.3g)
60 Cured Rugged Leather Square (1.1g)
150 Cured Thick Leather Square (0.5g)
60 Iron Ingot (2.4g)
30 Steel Ingot (1.3g)
60 Darksteel Ingot (2.7g)
150 Mithril Ingot (1.9g)
= 77.6 gold = 1405 gems ~= $25

plus

500 Pile of Bloodstone Dust (~25 champion chests opened)
500 Dragonite Ore (~25 dragon event chests opened)
500 Empyreal Fragment (~250 jumping puzzle chests opened)
30 Obsidian Shard (30 laurels = 30 completed dailies)
1 Augur's Stone (20 skillpoints)

So to have 5 ascended weapon/armor items you would have had to spend the equivalent of around $125 (or farmed it) and have logged in every day for 5 months, done all your dailies, about one champion and dragon a day, plus 10 jumping puzzles or so each day for all those 5 months.

That's some serious commitment. If you have any kind of life outside GW2 it's going to take you a while.

#5 Andemius

Andemius

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 672 posts
  • Guild Tag:[herd]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostBeyond Freedom, on 09 January 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

snip

As simply as I can put it, don't buy everything. Most people have mats laying around, which significantly reduces the amount you need to spend.

I might add that moreorless everyone has more than enough bloodstone and empheral stuff, so the only issue there would be Dragonite Ore. You can get 20-30 from major world events (temples ect).

Alternatively, 77g isn't really that much (hell I currently have 64g), and you can make a fair dent in that by simply doing fast dungeons once a day.

Slightly off-topic: I'm considering buying my next weapon insignia simply so I don't have to hunt world events for my dragonite ore. I'm willing to pay more gold so I can keep doing what I enjoy instead of what I don't.

#6 Veji

Veji

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:49 PM

Quote

That's some serious commitment. If you have any kind of life outside GW2 it's going to take you a while.

When i was a young boy, i was outside playing baseball, in the street with the neighbor kids.  I was running to third base when i tripped, and fell on my hands.  Unfortunately, my left hand landed in a small tree stump, force several small chunks of wood into the outside edge of my palm, piercing it (almost all the way through).  It was quite painful.

As i got into the doctor's office, they numbed the part of my hand where all the large splinters had gone in and attempted to probe the wounds to see if they could remove the splinters.  I was crying and carrying on, kicking and screaming bloody murder like any young child with an injury does.  My father told the doctors to leave room to calm me down.  He then gave me a bit of advice that has served me well over many, many years:  "If you don't look at it or focus on it, it won't hurt."  He proceeded to explain that to me a few different ways so that i'd understand and then brought the doctors back in.

At that point, i turned away and looked at and focused on a magazine hanging in a magazine rack on the wall an began waiting.  Not feeling a thing.  I had no clue what they were doing to my hand, or if they were doing anything at all, when 15 minutes later they proclaimed "ALL DONE!" and we left the doctor's office with my hand pretty well bandaged and orders to care for it for the next 2 weeks.

The moral of the story (as it applies to the above quote):  If you focus on the grind, cry about the grind, and stare at the grind, you will never be able to turn your head and enjoy everything else going on around you while it is happening.

#7 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:24 PM

View PostVeji, on 09 January 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

The moral of the story (as it applies to the above quote):  If you focus on the grind, cry about the grind, and stare at the grind, you will never be able to turn your head and enjoy everything else going on around you while it is happening.

That is a rather bad analogy as you didn't pay the ground $60 and it didn't promise you no-grind entertainment without vertical progression.

#8 Featherman

Featherman

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1028 posts
  • Location:Frolicking in Kalos

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

You know what's an observation of derpiness...why do MMO players subject themselves to pain like mindless grinding and have to find methods of alleviating that pain? Well the game isn't so bad if you don't pay attention to it, but doesn't that kind of go against the purpose of a game?

Edited by Featherman, 09 January 2014 - 06:42 PM.


#9 typographie

typographie

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2006 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

View PostLunacy Polish, on 07 January 2014 - 08:16 PM, said:

8.  It’s ironic.  I’ve mained a Warrior for my initial foray, and I remember when it was the true bottom of the barrel profession everyone laughed at and for good reason because all it offered was pure damage for dungeon runs if specced and built a particular way.  Now it’s climbed to the top of the meta, like in the early beta.  Figures!

Warrior hasn't really changed much, though player attitudes have once they realized you can do pretty much anything in PvE faster without tanky support builds. Warrior has some favored status not just because of its own exceptional damage output but the damage buffs it shares with the rest of the group.

View PostBeyond Freedom, on 09 January 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

That's some serious commitment. If you have any kind of life outside GW2 it's going to take you a while.

It is, but we need to keep in mind that ArenaNet's stated goal with ascended armor was to address how trivial it is to acquire exotic armor. You are not expected to complete an entire character build's worth of ascended gear in any reasonable time frame unless you are unbelievably committed and wealthy, that would defeat the purpose.

I'm going to word this very carefully because I know its controversial: the design appears to be that having only a small stat improvement on ascended items should make it very unimportant to have an entire set overnight. Being stuck in mostly exotics for a number of months or even years doesn't leave you at much more than a vague, theoretical disadvantage. Naturally that's a matter of personal philosophy, but that appears to be their intent in my opinion.

Edited by typographie, 09 January 2014 - 06:45 PM.


#10 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 09 January 2014 - 06:59 PM

View Posttypographie, on 09 January 2014 - 06:44 PM, said:

It is, but we need to keep in mind that ArenaNet's stated goal with ascended armor was to address how trivial it is to acquire exotic armor. You are not expected to complete an entire character build's worth of ascended gear in any reasonable time frame unless you are unbelievably committed and wealthy, that would defeat the purpose.

http://www.eurogamer...-wars-2-preview

Quote

Colin Johanson: Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base. The rare stuff becomes the really awesome looking armours. It's all about collecting the unique looking stuff and collecting all the other rare collectable items in the game: armour pieces, potentially different potions - a lot of that is still up in the air and we'll finalise a lot of those reward systems as we get closer to release. And those come off of things like the bosses at the end of dungeons - the raids.

View PostFeatherman, on 09 January 2014 - 06:36 PM, said:

You know what's an observation of derpiness...why do MMO players subject themselves to pain like mindless grinding and have to find methods of alleviating that pain? Well the game isn't so bad if you don't pay attention to it, but doesn't that kind of go against the purpose of a game?

Exactly, if you take the idea that we should just ignore all the crappy stuff that life throws at us - then I am afraid that nothing bad would ever get fixed. I mean, it's a pretty bad concept altogether - not just for games. However, assuming games are supposed to be about entertainment - it is really a bad idea.

#11 Arrows Jack

Arrows Jack

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 17 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[ECTO]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:05 PM

"3.  I am theorizing that the fact all my craft skills are obsolete now means I’m supposed to buy gold with gems and buy overpriced mats from the TP and max those out and THEN maybe afford Ascended tier items.  I haven’t checked so tell me if I’m off target on that one.  But if I am in fact at least partially correct, that’s a big No Thank You."

View PostBeyond Freedom, on 09 January 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

So to have 5 ascended weapon/armor items you would have had to spend the equivalent of around $125 (or farmed it) and have logged in every day for 5 months, done all your dailies, about one champion and dragon a day, plus 10 jumping puzzles or so each day for all those 5 months.

5 months? well thats not true.. I have 4 weps and only need a few more pieces to complete my armor and it hasnt taken me anywhere near 5 months.. All you have to do is do the World Boss Train at reset and you will get a few hundred Dragonite ore.. doing one monthly each daily for a month and you will have more then enough Luarals.. Only thing that really takes time is the Time Gated items.. For the chest piece that comes out to 5 days before you can get it (assuming you dont buy the mats instead). After that each piece needs less (3-4 days) But even with all the armor pieces added up (rounded to 5 time gated items each) thats still less then a month for the full set.. While I agree that is still a bit of time its not 5 months worth of time nor does it require you to spend all that much time on the game. I hardly play at all lately and I am still able to get all my stuff just fine. Now each person is different of course and I understand that but playing casually you can get in 1 month. (and you dont need to do jumping puzzles, dungeons will give you enough empyreal shards). The point of my post is to not let the idea of ascended crafting scare you too much thinking it will take you nearly half a year, its a lot easier then that :) Easily can be done in a 1 month. (~2-3 if you do full set of armor and weapons.)

Edited by Arrows Jack, 09 January 2014 - 07:08 PM.


#12 typographie

typographie

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2006 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:35 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 09 January 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:


We already know what their stated intent was back in 2011, and I'm aware that that didn't include ascended gear. I'm speaking only of their statements about ascended items and what their design appears to be at this time. I am not debating that its the most elegant design or that they didn't 'go back on their word.' I don't really want to turn the OP's thread into that.

They wanted to give us something to work on that would give the average player long-term goals, that you couldn't just buy outright for a few gold. I think the idea that you're meant to have it all at once—thus making the expense seem outrageous—misses the point. And with so many account-bound components, I find it less than likely that ascended gear is meant to have much effect on the currency -> gold interaction.

Edited by typographie, 09 January 2014 - 07:38 PM.


#13 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:24 PM

View Posttypographie, on 09 January 2014 - 07:35 PM, said:

We already know what their stated intent was back in 2011, and I'm aware that that didn't include ascended gear. I'm speaking only of their statements about ascended items and what their design appears to be at this time. I am not debating that its the most elegant design or that they didn't 'go back on their word.' I don't really want to turn the OP's thread into that.

They wanted to give us something to work on that would give the average player long-term goals, that you couldn't just buy outright for a few gold. I think the idea that you're meant to have it all at once—thus making the expense seem outrageous—misses the point. And with so many account-bound components, I find it less than likely that ascended gear is meant to have much effect on the currency -> gold interaction.

Gotcha. Although, one could say that Legendary weapons already had that status. In either case, I understand what you're saying and I won't take it further than that. Just thought the juxtaposition of the two ideas was important.

#14 Veji

Veji

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 09 January 2014 - 06:24 PM, said:

That is a rather bad analogy as you didn't pay the ground $60 and it didn't promise you no-grind entertainment without vertical progression.

I did pay the $60, but i didn't drink all the kool-aid (aka believe all the hype).  Every MMO has some kind of "thing" that everybody hates to keep you playing it for years.I just take it stride.  As long as i'm having fun, the "grind entertainment" and "no vertical progression" things don't bother me.  Don't look at the big chunk of wood in your hand, and it won't hurt.  Novacane helps though. lol

#15 Katsumi Kei

Katsumi Kei

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Location:Bulgaria
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[WvW]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

View PostBeyond Freedom, on 09 January 2014 - 04:46 PM, said:

Perhaps I am missing something. The cost of crafting a Zojja's Short Bow, once you have levelled your craft to 500 and bought the recipe, break down as follows:
-------------------
= 77.6 gold = 1405 gems ~= $25

plus

500 Pile of Bloodstone Dust (~25 champion chests opened)
500 Dragonite Ore (~25 dragon event chests opened)
500 Empyreal Fragment (~250 jumping puzzle chests opened)
30 Obsidian Shard (30 laurels = 30 completed dailies)
1 Augur's Stone (20 skillpoints)

So to have 5 ascended weapon/armor items you would have had to spend the equivalent of around $125 (or farmed it) and have logged in every day for 5 months, done all your dailies, about one champion and dragon a day, plus 10 jumping puzzles or so each day for all those 5 months.

That is either a lie or complete disconnection from the actual way the material gathering is done. While price varies in the TP 77 gold sounds about right.

Making a shortbow took me exactly ONE WEEK, but i do dungeons a lot. 5 dungeons a day (around 2 hours) - AC1,2,3 ; CoF 1,2  gives around 10 gold. and exactly 100 Empyreal Shards.
Every second run gives you a level up and a skill point with that wich is 2-3 SPs a day.
Every champion loot bag gives Bloodstone Dust and there are enough champions in those dungeons , unfortunately i cant give you exact number of the drop.
One week of this is 70gold, 700 Empyreal Shards, 17-18 SPs, plus most probably enough bloodstone dust.
Dragonite ore is super easy, orr temples give 30 DO per capture, doing Melandru, Grenth and Dwayna gives 90 a day - 630 Dragonite Ore a week. There also, there are other world bossess that drop DO, it's not a problem to make it.
Last thing is Obsidian Shards - bying them with laurels is probably retarded, they cost 2100 karma each, or 6300 karma in total. That varies with each person, but i personally have loads of it stocked, so whats the issue there? Also doing that Orr temples events 3 times a day will fill your Karma shortage.

This is exactly 4 times less than your initial statement. No, crafting ascended gear is not overgrindy, but it's time gated, Also crafting armor is pointless since the minor stat difference is not worth the money and time invested, you can get 2 weapon sets and be done with it.

#16 Dervo

Dervo

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

Thanks Katsumi, I'm glad I'm not the only one looking at Beyond Freedom's numbers and wondering what they're on.  Honestly though, the thing that struck me was 7.8g for 15 orichalcum ingots. That's over 50s per ingot, or 25s per piece of ore... the actual cost is 8s per ingot or 3.74s per ore which comes out to barely over 1g.  I also want to know why they think that it costs them 10g for 10 globs of dark matter, when you can buy exotics armor with runes in them that sell for almost as much as the armor costs, which also give back ecto and there's also a slight chance to get back insignias now depending on the armor.  I honestly look at dark matter as free.

That drops the price to about 50g and that's just looking at two ingredients.  I'm not saying it isn't expensive, just that there's a little bit of exaggeration going on here, as you aptly pointed out in regards to emp frags and obsidian shards (you also get a lot of emp frags in wvw).

I also agree that getting ascended armor for wvw isn't necessary, though I wouldn't say it's pointless.  Weapons just take priority, especially 2-handers and ones that focus on direct damage.

#17 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

View PostVeji, on 09 January 2014 - 09:11 PM, said:



I did pay the $60, but i didn't drink all the kool-aid (aka believe all the hype).  Every MMO has some kind of "thing" that everybody hates to keep you playing it for years.I just take it stride.  As long as i'm having fun, the "grind entertainment" and "no vertical progression" things don't bother me.  Don't look at the big chunk of wood in your hand, and it won't hurt.  Novacane helps though. lol

Just because you are OK with it doesn't mean everyone should be. Don't try to tell me and other what we should and shouldn't be comfortable with.

Edited by El Duderino, 10 January 2014 - 01:40 AM.


#18 Beyond Freedom

Beyond Freedom

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 247 posts
  • Location:In your dreams.
  • Profession:Thief

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:18 PM

View PostAndemius, on 09 January 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

As simply as I can put it, don't buy everything. Most people have mats laying around, which significantly reduces the amount you need to spend.

I agree with your premise, but your second statement is equivalent to saying that most people have money already in the bank, so their weekly supermarket shop doesn't actually cost them anything.

View PostKatsumi Kei, on 09 January 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

...
Making a shortbow took me exactly ONE WEEK, but i do dungeons a lot. 5 dungeons a day (around 2 hours)
...
Last thing is Obsidian Shards - bying them with laurels is probably retarded, they cost 2100 karma each, or 6300 karma in total. That varies with each person, but i personally have loads of it stocked, so whats the issue there? Also doing that Orr temples events 3 times a day will fill your Karma shortage.

Being able to do 5 dungeons in 2 hours is somewhat exceptional, I would imagine that 1 dungeon every 40-45 minutes is more normal for most people. Casual players are unlikely to be able to afford much more than 1-2 hours a day on average or more than 1 Orr temple event in that time.

I'm a casual. At the moment I can't do dungeons as I have a newborn baby to feed and therefore have to AFK for 20 minutes or more with no warning. You could get some nice guild members to carry you through one or two of those, but it gets tiring real quick. In a LFG it is not possible.

I didn't realize you can buy Obsidian Shards with karma, thanks for that. As it happens I have a backlog of those as well, but just because you have some banked doesn't mean you didn't have to earn them - see my reply above.

Edited by Beyond Freedom, 10 January 2014 - 03:19 PM.


#19 Epixors

Epixors

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 401 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[LSL]
  • Server:Seafarer’s Rest

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

View PostBeyond Freedom, on 10 January 2014 - 03:18 PM, said:

I agree with your premise, but your second statement is equivalent to saying that most people have money already in the bank, so their weekly supermarket shop doesn't actually cost them anything.

It's more like saying that there's still a sufficient amount of milk in the fridge so there's no need to buy any new milk.

#20 Veji

Veji

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 482 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 10 January 2014 - 01:31 AM, said:

Just because you are OK with it doesn't mean everyone should be. Don't try to tell me and other what we should and shouldn't be comfortable with.

touche:  You have an opinion.  I have an opinion.  I'm just trying to express a different point of view on the discussion.  I apologize if i've offended you.

#21 Beyond Freedom

Beyond Freedom

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 247 posts
  • Location:In your dreams.
  • Profession:Thief

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:36 PM

View PostEpixors, on 10 January 2014 - 03:24 PM, said:

It's more like saying that there's still a sufficient amount of milk in the fridge so there's no need to buy any new milk.

I see you're discriminating now against people who don't have milk in their fridge. Down with the imperialist lactic I'm-all-right-Jacks!

#22 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2246 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

View PostVeji, on 10 January 2014 - 03:25 PM, said:

touche:  You have an opinion.  I have an opinion.  I'm just trying to express a different point of view on the discussion.  I apologize if i've offended you.

No problem. Sorry if I can off poorly/defensive as well. I just find it hard to play around these things. It's probably why I don't play any longer. I just find it disappointing that there are plenty of people that don't care for these kinds of things, but don't say or do anything about it. I fear that it will only get worse because there wasn't a significant complaint about such additions to the game.

#23 Fizzypop

Fizzypop

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 738 posts
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:27 PM

View PostAndemius, on 09 January 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

As simply as I can put it, don't buy everything. Most people have mats laying around, which significantly reduces the amount you need to spend.

I might add that moreorless everyone has more than enough bloodstone and empheral stuff, so the only issue there would be Dragonite Ore. You can get 20-30 from major world events (temples ect).

Alternatively, 77g isn't really that much (hell I currently have 64g), and you can make a fair dent in that by simply doing fast dungeons once a day.

Slightly off-topic: I'm considering buying my next weapon insignia simply so I don't have to hunt world events for my dragonite ore. I'm willing to pay more gold so I can keep doing what I enjoy instead of what I don't.

I don't have enough bloodstone or emp or dragonite ore. Shit I don't even think I've topped out my 250 stack in my collection tab. When I was playing several hours a day I still didn't have enough gold I've never had more than 50g at a time. I have only 4 professions at 400 none at 500.

Dungeons require you to already have good gear, if you don't then good luck (many don't want to group with someone who doesn't have any ascended gear). They also require a set amount of time. I think the previous poster was right for a good chunk of people who play GW2 will not have the time or money to do what you are in fact doing. That's fine, but you really can't say it's super easy when it seems you dedicate a lot of your time to it. Someone who plays maybe 10 hours a week isn't going to be able to do it without waiting nearly a year for it.

Edited by Fizzypop, 10 January 2014 - 08:28 PM.


#24 Fizzypop

Fizzypop

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 738 posts
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:52 PM

View PostKatsumi Kei, on 09 January 2014 - 09:32 PM, said:

That is either a lie or complete disconnection from the actual way the material gathering is done. While price varies in the TP 77 gold sounds about right.

Making a shortbow took me exactly ONE WEEK, but i do dungeons a lot. 5 dungeons a day (around 2 hours) - AC1,2,3 ; CoF 1,2  gives around 10 gold. and exactly 100 Empyreal Shards.
Every second run gives you a level up and a skill point with that wich is 2-3 SPs a day.
Every champion loot bag gives Bloodstone Dust and there are enough champions in those dungeons , unfortunately i cant give you exact number of the drop.
One week of this is 70gold, 700 Empyreal Shards, 17-18 SPs, plus most probably enough bloodstone dust.
Dragonite ore is super easy, orr temples give 30 DO per capture, doing Melandru, Grenth and Dwayna gives 90 a day - 630 Dragonite Ore a week. There also, there are other world bossess that drop DO, it's not a problem to make it.
Last thing is Obsidian Shards - bying them with laurels is probably retarded, they cost 2100 karma each, or 6300 karma in total. That varies with each person, but i personally have loads of it stocked, so whats the issue there? Also doing that Orr temples events 3 times a day will fill your Karma shortage.

This is exactly 4 times less than your initial statement. No, crafting ascended gear is not overgrindy, but it's time gated, Also crafting armor is pointless since the minor stat difference is not worth the money and time invested, you can get 2 weapon sets and be done with it.

Can I ask how many hours you spend in game each day?

#25 Katsumi Kei

Katsumi Kei

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Location:Bulgaria
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[WvW]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:51 PM

View PostFizzypop, on 10 January 2014 - 08:52 PM, said:

Can I ask how many hours you spend in game each day?

3 to 4 hours, depends. But I don't play every day, few times a week

#26 Kymeric

Kymeric

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1979 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

The problem with the splinter metaphor is there's no other option.  You have to have them removed.

Just relax and it'll be over faster and with less pain isn't great advice for something so optional as entertainment.

If I don't like mushrooms on my pizza and a restaurant insists on putting them on every pie, I can totally pick them off and enjoy a slice.  Eventually, however, it just gets annoying, especially if they are committed to slowly increasing the amount of mushrooms they put on their pizzas over time.  Eventually, I'll be done with them, and go looking for a place that will provide me a fungus-free pizza.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users