Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Nothing is sacred, everything can be destroyed

lead designer mike zadorojny

  • Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 07:52 PM

Interview:

http://www.gamerzine...ring-guild.html

The point that we’re making is this – Guild Wars’ Living Story is finally beginning to pay off and over the next four releases players, be they returning or long term, will get to see everything that ArenaNet has been working up to for the past year without the need to plonk down any extra money. Many MMO developers would either charge a subscription fee or force the player to snap up an expansion in order to enjoy this extra content, but instead ArenaNet are giving it away for free in the hopes that they’ll hook you into their game for the long term.

Inevitably the trade of for this kind of event-driven update cycle is that the really meaningful story content won’t stick around for long, but then isn’t that what the term Living World is all about? Giving players an opportunity to explore meaningful moments that are finite and unreplayable, offering them ownership of said moments, empowering them to tell there friends ‘I was there way back when…’. You know, like you would in the real world when something momentous happens!

Still seem really out of touch for what is happening on the ground in game:

#2 konsta_hoptrop

konsta_hoptrop

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

an real expansion has new zones, new races, new classes, new skills , new weapons and armors , new enemies, new weapon types and so on.... new pvp modes.... These guys really think that GW player base is so stupid ? Some common and simple LS updates with recolored enemies in the existing zones and super boring vilian isnt expansion wide worth...

#3 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:33 PM

"You know, like you would in the real-world when something momentous happens!"

I can't tell which is worse: that ANet likens a game to real-life, or that they think the LS is momentous.

#4 Desild

Desild

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Location:New Eden
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[DKAL]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 23 January 2014 - 08:46 PM

Denial. This is sheer denial. They are in denial.

The living story is paying off? Oh really? In what way? How you can seemingly waste minimal development time to produce bite-sized content used to fuel your cash store driven game? Or how you use psychological conscription to force players to consume that content at the risk of missing it out forever? I can only wonder...

The only reason they are dodging an expansion now is no doubt because players can dodge expansions themselves when the game gets crooked. As we are now, playing for "free", we don't see the wrong in some of the money grabbing schemes they are pulling. The anguish of the lack of loot, the draining of quality rewards to cox boxes and cosmetics and the laziness that goes to the actual few rewards we get.

#5 Gyre

Gyre

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • Location:The Painted World of Ariamis

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

View PostDesild, on 23 January 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

The anguish of the lack of loot, the draining of quality rewards to cox boxes and cosmetics and the laziness that goes to the actual few rewards we get.

I dare any hardcore fan to suggest the loot during the new encounters is commensurate with effort.  During the defense phase of the marionette the enemies drop cypher fragments of which you need 25 to be of any use to you.  If they have standard loot of any kind it's either incredibly rare or I'm blind.  I'd even take junk loot to get some merchant value out of slaying dozens of trash mobs en route to a portal.

#6 Illein

Illein

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

View PostDesild, on 23 January 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

Denial. This is sheer denial. They are in denial.

The living story is paying off? Oh really? In what way? How you can seemingly waste minimal development time to produce bite-sized content used to fuel your cash store driven game? Or how you use psychological conscription to force players to consume that content at the risk of missing it out forever? I can only wonder...

The only reason they are dodging an expansion now is no doubt because players can dodge expansions themselves when the game gets crooked. As we are now, playing for "free", we don't see the wrong in some of the money grabbing schemes they are pulling. The anguish of the lack of loot, the draining of quality rewards to cox boxes and cosmetics and the laziness that goes to the actual few rewards we get.

That's exactly it. Can I touch you? I want *that* to rub off on me while it lasts.

Must have projected my expectations right onto the article, but starting it off by reading the headline as "Guild Wars 2: Pondering the Lying Story climax with Mike Zadarodjny" made it a lot easier to digest.

I love the fact that they tell their readers to not take their word for it, regarding GW2 getting better, but that they shall hear it from the horse's mouth. Quality journalism!

"The new iPhone G6 is mind-blowingly innovative! But don't take our word from it, here listen to what the people over at Apple have to say about it! It received not ONE - I repeat not ONE - negative review during their internal testings!"

Edited by Illein, 23 January 2014 - 09:38 PM.


#7 MazingerZ

MazingerZ

    Golem Rider

  • Curse Premium
  • Curse Premium
  • 2274 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CYRL]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:28 PM

View PostIllein, on 23 January 2014 - 09:16 PM, said:

"The new iPhone G6 is mind-blowingly innovative! But don't take our word from it, here listen to what the people over at Apple have to say about it! It received not ONE - I repeat not ONE - negative review during their internal testings!"

The EG article had the same tone.  Fluff pieces.
It's okay to enjoy crap if you're willing to admit it's crap.
Every patch is like ArenaNet walking out onto the stage of the International Don't Kitten Up Championship, and then proceeding to shiv itself in the stomach 30 times while screaming "IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD! IT'S FOR YOUR OWN GOOD!"

#8 Illein

Illein

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2039 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 09:36 PM

View PostMazingerZ, on 23 January 2014 - 09:28 PM, said:

The EG article had the same tone.  Fluff pieces.

Yeah.

I don't trick myself into believing I am unbiased on those matters, far from it - I might even harbour a slight bit of resentment towards them for their whole hype machinery but please someone tell me the article's end is not the product of a shill's quill:

"Well, something momentous is happening and is about to happen in Tyria, and if you care about the MMORPG genre or gaming in general, you owe it to yourself to be part of it."

Seriously. I don't think I have EVER been implored by a game magazine to try something out so very keenly.

So either we've got the best thing on our hands since frozen cakes or....

#9 Featherman

Featherman

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1028 posts
  • Location:Frolicking in Kalos

Posted 23 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

The gamerzine writers likely have to take hype and whatever ANet says as factual basis. These writers hardly have time to play GW2 and form an accurate opinion of it, and when since their operation runs on information they become beholden to the ones who are able to provide that information. That is to say, ANet controls whatever's written on all levels. In turn ANet prolongs the perception hype by reminding players of the superlative quality of the LS. It's not like the average reader could tell the difference and call them out on it.

Edited by Featherman, 23 January 2014 - 10:11 PM.


#10 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2248 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:11 AM

View PostDesild, on 23 January 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

The living story is paying off? Oh really? In what way?

Because this game has found it's niche. People that like to have digital things in make believe worlds and prefer easy mode to strategy. They will happily pay for the new shiny items offered to them and appreciate the grind because hey! it's optional, and it gives them something to work towards. This isn't a new genre of player - it is just a lazier one - and they found a company that allows them to be lazy and look great at the same time.

#11 Impmon

Impmon

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 666 posts
  • Location:Behind you
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:29 AM

I've played this game since release.

To this date I have yet to participate completely in any living story addition.

To this date I don't really care either.

#12 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

Seems more of the same:
See what awesome devs we are - The story is so epic and it changes every month - it has incredible narrative and we have so many surprises coming up you wont believe it.

And it is for free! except those suckers who buy boxes ect.

Do you want to return and play - sorry out of luck but you can see what we have in store next with our awesome story.
I get that they have to be positive but they seem so out of touch with what is going on on the ground.

#13 Misty Six

Misty Six

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

View Postnerfandderf, on 23 January 2014 - 07:52 PM, said:

Interview:

http://www.gamerzine...ring-guild.html

The point that we’re making is this – Guild Wars’ Living Story is finally beginning to pay off and over the next four releases players, be they returning or long term, will get to see everything that ArenaNet has been working up to for the past year without the need to plonk down any extra money. Many MMO developers would either charge a subscription fee or force the player to snap up an expansion in order to enjoy this extra content, but instead ArenaNet are giving it away for free in the hopes that they’ll hook you into their game for the long term.

Inevitably the trade of for this kind of event-driven update cycle is that the really meaningful story content won’t stick around for long, but then isn’t that what the term Living World is all about? Giving players an opportunity to explore meaningful moments that are finite and unreplayable, offering them ownership of said moments, empowering them to tell there friends ‘I was there way back when…’. You know, like you would in the real world when something momentous happens!

Rofl.. yeah right, Living Story won't ever compare with the real world. Sounds like they're in a living world of their own.

Have they ever played the game? :D

Edited by Misty Six, 24 January 2014 - 12:36 PM.


#14 Kymeric

Kymeric

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1981 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

One of the big things they're missing is "I was there way back when" only works for things that stick out.  That means they have to be exceptional, which not only means momentous, but rare.  "I was there way back when" isn't going to apply to a couple dozen two week events across a year.  It might apply to the big finale....

It's even more likely to happen from non-scripted, emergent events.  "I was there way back when..." the players gathered together in a massive protest... someone infiltrated our guild and stole everything....  the complete unerdog server rose up and defeated both competitors in WvW...

But GW2 isn't being designed with much room for that kind of thing to occur.

#15 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1195 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

Honestly LS was a huge waste of time and not fun at all, and this comes from bottom of my heart as a die hard fan of GW frenchise.
But then again no company in a world would say "yeah we made crap that people didn`t like and wasted year in creating it" some nice shinny paper, wrap all up and there you go.....after all it`s FREE gift !

Hell no Anet, you made crap LS and you were suffocating players for almost year now, for all this time we could get new maps, weapons, some story that makes sense, your "no grind" gimmick is total BS, simply enough GW2 is one and only game where you can grind your ass of and still be emptyhanded !

But i guess when your PR department has most imagination (from entire team) things end like this !!!

#16 Robsy128

Robsy128

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2918 posts
  • Location:Rata Sum
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:04 PM

It's a cool concept. If they actually put some story into the Living Story, I would be interested. So far it's just been really disjointed. I only learnt that Scarlet was behind some of the LS content updates through the trailer they released a few weeks ago.

Come on, Arenanet. At least go back to the storytelling of GW1, or heck... even take a page from your wiki! It's interesting reading that stuff and would be even more so in-game! Even Halo 4 had better story-telling than this game, and it's a FPS which says it all to be honest.

I don't mean to sound harsh - Guild Wars 2 is a good game in its own right, but it's becoming more and more like Fable - a lot of promises and 'hey, you can do this!' in the press, but not a lot of realization. At least Peter Molyneaux actually came out and apologised for over-hyping his games.

#17 Brandon the Don

Brandon the Don

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 300 posts
  • Location:Somewhere
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[TH]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

View PostRobsy128, on 24 January 2014 - 06:04 PM, said:

It's a cool concept. If they actually put some story into the Living Story, I would be interested. So far it's just been really disjointed. I only learnt that Scarlet was behind some of the LS content updates through the trailer they released a few weeks ago.

Come on, Arenanet. At least go back to the storytelling of GW1, or heck... even take a page from your wiki! It's interesting reading that stuff and would be even more so in-game! Even Halo 4 had better story-telling than this game, and it's a FPS which says it all to be honest.

The way the story is presented is indeed the biggest flaw currently... I think this is mostly due to Anet wanting to release the story content for every existing crowd within the game, so you get farm updates, zerg updates, dungeon updates etc. This results in people who dislike doing some content missing these specific pieces, and thus getting less intrigued by the story altogether...

I was a bit astonished yesterday as to how much I want the story to progress now... I finished the marionette and came in LA, talked with some NPCs and got a good chunk of the story and felt like investing my time in it... Last time this happened was with the Zephyr Sanctum, so you can imagine how long it's been...

#18 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 24 January 2014 - 06:43 PM

View PostKymeric, on 24 January 2014 - 02:56 PM, said:

One of the big things they're missing is "I was there way back when" only works for things that stick out.  That means they have to be exceptional, which not only means momentous, but rare.  "I was there way back when" isn't going to apply to a couple dozen two week events across a year.  It might apply to the big finale....

It's even more likely to happen from non-scripted, emergent events.  "I was there way back when..." the players gathered together in a massive protest... someone infiltrated our guild and stole everything....  the complete unerdog server rose up and defeated both competitors in WvW...

But GW2 isn't being designed with much room for that kind of thing to occur.

This is a key point.  If ANet wants those LS moments to feel special and fleeting, they need to make the actual LS awesome.

Right now it's kind of the equivalent of checking off your 3-page list at the grocery store, and then, as a finale, riding the mechanical horsey on the sidewalk out front.  How is that epic?

Since we can only experience it once, give us something we won't forget, or don't make it non-replayable.  You can't have one without the other.

Edited by Konzacelt, 24 January 2014 - 06:44 PM.


#19 credokun

credokun

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

I just hate this mentality.Play the game super casual,drop it for a while...then return to buy some gems,see how things are going...repeat.If there are some people that enjoy this FINE.But they are not the only kind of players.

#20 Krazzar

Krazzar

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7989 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:01 PM

I don't have much time for games these days and I'm not spending that limited time in GW2. I haven't fully completed most of the LS updates because I don't have the time and so now I simply don't care. If I had an expansion pack I could explore when I wanted to on my schedule at my pace. I don't have time to figure out these cryptic clues (story with no direction) or wait around for an event to start and hope enough people are around.  I don't schedule my day around GW2 and now I spend my limited gaming time playing games that are enjoyable immediately and don't stop being enjoyable.

On a side note; I tried to wait around for these new events four times and soon before or right as the event starts the client will lock up so I have to exit and am dumped into overflow and can choose to wait more or just do something else.

GW2 was enjoyable when there were things to explore and randomly meeting people always helped, but even the open world has been lacking lately.  I've noticed a distinct lack of people out there, probably because nearly everyone is just standing around at the two new event sites or waiting to log in when the timer gets near.

#21 gw2guruaccount

gw2guruaccount

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:09 PM

View Postcredokun, on 24 January 2014 - 07:21 PM, said:

I just hate this mentality.Play the game super casual,drop it for a while...then return to buy some gems,see how things are going...repeat.If there are some people that enjoy this FINE.But they are not the only kind of players.
I can agree with this. I wonder what their Marketing Plan looks like. I bet it has phrases such as "suckers, lol" and "b00b33z 4 da win!"

#22 Tevesh

Tevesh

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1005 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 12:35 AM

Fire the incompetent developers from their team and hire someone with a clue on how to design content. Then I will remember this momentous moments. I'll be telling my grandchildren that I was there when reason finally triumphed over shortsighted cash milking policies of an obsolete and sinking monopolist company.

#23 nerfandderf

nerfandderf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:21 PM

View PostTevesh, on 25 January 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

Fire the incompetent developers from their team and hire someone with a clue on how to design content. Then I will remember this momentous moments. I'll be telling my grandchildren that I was there when reason finally triumphed over shortsighted cash milking policies of an obsolete and sinking monopolist company.

I think they need to revamp the management structure. I get the feeling that every dept head has their own ideas and agendas to the detriment of the game. Get everyone on the same page, have a unified goal and design philosophy. I just dont see it with anet.

It seems like "who cares how X did it I want it done this way" and then it doesnt mesh with how another dept is going and we end up getting a hodge podge of implemented ideas and direction. So we are left with nothing off the table that can be implemented in anyway but there isnt any coherence with the delivery of content. That is how I see it -directionless with no common strategy or guiding principles.

#24 Gilles VI

Gilles VI

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3314 posts
  • Location:Belgium
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[ICE]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 25 January 2014 - 05:30 PM

View PostTevesh, on 25 January 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

Fire the incompetent developers from their team and hire someone with a clue on how to design content. Then I will remember this momentous moments. I'll be telling my grandchildren that I was there when reason finally triumphed over shortsighted cash milking policies of an obsolete and sinking monopolist company.

Monopolist? There seem to be quite alot of MMO's out there, with a huge array of different views on how a game should be, jus thave your pick if you don't like this one. :)

#25 StormDragonZ

StormDragonZ

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 396 posts
  • Location:Syracuse
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[MAGI]
  • Server:Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:59 PM

I remember more about GW1 than GW2.

Remember when a bunch of Monks went on strike at Thunderhead Keep and refused to join any group because Warriors & Elementalists treated them like garbage? Remember when 18% of the entire community quit because Shadow Form was changed, causing a massive surge in prices for runs in dungeons? Remember when Drago's Vampiric Flatbow was considered the rarest green in the game?

StormDragonZ remembers.

You know what I remember from GW2? Failing to beat Tequatl because we only had 15 minutes to kill him.

#26 Gyre

Gyre

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • Location:The Painted World of Ariamis

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

View PostTevesh, on 25 January 2014 - 12:35 AM, said:

Fire the incompetent developers from their team and hire someone with a clue on how to design content. Then I will remember this momentous moments. I'll be telling my grandchildren that I was there when reason finally triumphed over shortsighted cash milking policies of an obsolete and sinking monopolist company.

I'm waiting for a ground fx lighting kit for all my characters, maybe a drifting mode where i can dodge roll through a jumping puzzle like a rollerbeetle.

#27 ExplosivePinata

ExplosivePinata

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 196 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TRA]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:50 AM

I just think that that quote (Headliner - OP) is the epitome of what GW2 is as opposed to GW1 and what GW2 should have been.

Edited by ExplosivePinata, 26 January 2014 - 02:52 AM.


#28 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:56 AM

View PostStormDragonZ, on 25 January 2014 - 09:59 PM, said:

Remember when a bunch of Monks went on strike at Thunderhead Keep and refused to join any group because Warriors & Elementalists treated them like garbage?

If that really happened that is priceless! :D

#29 LoopySnoopy

LoopySnoopy

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 94 posts
  • Location:England
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[WILD]
  • Server:Far Shiverpeaks

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:15 AM

View PostKonzacelt, on 26 January 2014 - 02:56 AM, said:

If that really happened that is priceless! :D

Posted Image not my screen but I was there and it was funny

#30 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 26 January 2014 - 05:17 AM

LOL.  My hat's off to all those monks back then who coordinated this.  What better way to humble impatient players. :)




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users