Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

Do you still actually play GW1?


  • Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 gw2guruaccount

gw2guruaccount

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:29 PM

The servers are still up so do you play it still or is it one of those things you shelved and immortalized in your soul? It does have something to do with GW2, a lot to do with it actually; I'm just curious how long it's been since you played one for the other, if you played them both, and wonder if that gap has aggrandized your opinion.

#2 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2248 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

If Nightfall and EoTN never came, I would still be playing. Those two expansions killed it for me and PvP in general.

In fact, I'll add that I would pay a sub fee for a Prophecies classes only release and some general updates.

And, I'm not the only one.

Edited by El Duderino, 18 February 2014 - 07:46 PM.


#3 Moharis Frostreign

Moharis Frostreign

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 116 posts
  • Location:Denver
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[AI]
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

I play sporadically to help GW2 guildies with their Hall of Monuments. Hasn't really changed my opinion of either game much. What I enjoyed in GW1 was build crafting, but by the release of GW2 there wasn't much theorycrafting left to be done. I was ready to move on.

#4 gw2guruaccount

gw2guruaccount

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 18 February 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

If Nightfall and EoTN never came, I would still be playing. Those two expansions killed it for me and PvP in general.

In fact, I'll add that I would pay a sub fee for a Prophecies classes only release and some general updates.

And, I'm not the only one.

Who else? Also, curious, so you would only play the game in it's earliest stages. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing; games that are frozen in time and never progress tend to lose their luster.

#5 typographie

typographie

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2010 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

I've been a GW1 player since it was released, but always took lengthy breaks when my interest shifted to something else. Taking breaks from GW1 of several months to a time is not a new thing to me at all, regardless of GW2's release. Fond as I am of it, I never felt it was a game that had the gravity to warrant "immortalizing it in my soul." :P

I'll log in once in awhile just out of curiosity, or because I want to compare some piece of GW1 geography to GW2's, but having finished my HoM I'm happy to be moving on to other things.

To add my own voice to above, Nightfall was decidedly my favorite chapter. Eye of the North felt a bit cheap and slapped together, which is probably not surprising given what we know about its development. I still generally enjoyed it, though.

Edited by typographie, 18 February 2014 - 08:23 PM.


#6 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2248 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:11 PM

View Postgw2guruaccount, on 18 February 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Who else? Also, curious, so you would only play the game in it's earliest stages. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing; games that are frozen in time and never progress tend to lose their luster.

I would play for the PvP.

Good PvP games rarely lose their luster with time. Hell, I still play CS 1.6, and there are no shortage of servers. LoL is likely to see quite a long life as well. CoD would still be played even if they didn't update it every other year.

Now, I agree the game would need some skill updates from time to time - not new skills, but enough to shakeup the Meta. The problem with GW1 is that the new classes broke the game balance-wise and was never fixed.

As for who else: www.teamquitter.com

I think you would find a lot of people there, and they would know a lot of people, that would be interested in old school GW1 PvP.

Edited by El Duderino, 18 February 2014 - 10:12 PM.


#7 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3265 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:24 PM

GW is one of the few games I have installed and I play it every few days: I mostly do the daily or, if I want to do something extra fun, I either do one of the Ascalon missions, Aurora Glade, Vizunah, Bogroot or Vloxen.
Just today I did Ghail and Magnus ZB.

I also massively prefer doing the dailies in GW1 over the GW2 ones: which is mostly the reason why I stil play it. The daily in GW1 is the game forcing you to do "content", while the daily in GW2 mostly consists out of doing "non-content" and that got old really fast.

Edited by Baron von Scrufflebutt, 18 February 2014 - 10:29 PM.


#8 gw2guruaccount

gw2guruaccount

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostEl Duderino, on 18 February 2014 - 10:11 PM, said:

I would play for the PvP.

Good PvP games rarely lose their luster with time. Hell, I still play CS 1.6, and there are no shortage of servers. LoL is likely to see quite a long life as well. CoD would still be played even if they didn't update it every other year.

Now, I agree the game would need some skill updates from time to time - not new skills, but enough to shakeup the Meta. The problem with GW1 is that the new classes broke the game balance-wise and was never fixed.

As for who else: www.teamquitter.com

I think you would find a lot of people there, and they would know a lot of people, that would be interested in old school GW1 PvP.

A dying forum?

Edited by gw2guruaccount, 19 February 2014 - 12:45 PM.


#9 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2248 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

View Postgw2guruaccount, on 19 February 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

A dying forum?

Dude, it's a dead game for the most part. You can't expect a forum built around a game from 9 years that is now dead to be very active. The point is that there is a very real group of people, with long friends' lists that played the PvP in that game religiously. They are all, pretty much, playing LoL right now. They have no other outlet. But, don't think GW1's PvP was bad or wouldn't attract a crowd.

Seriously, I can't imagine it would cost much for ANet to release an old Prophecies only PvP campaign and try and capitalize on it. The reward could be immense given the very low risk. There is nothing on the market like it currently and it had serious promise before ANet decided to cave the PvE crowd.

#10 Krazzar

Krazzar

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7988 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

I figured out  my password and logged back into GW1.  There were 5 people in Lion's Arch.  I traveled around other outposts and didn't see a soul.  I might play a mission or two later.

#11 Verranicus

Verranicus

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 104 posts
  • Location:Oshawa, Ontario
  • Profession:Thief
  • Guild Tag:[IDC]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

I'm tempted to, but since I never got a hold of EOTN I usually end up deciding otherwise.

#12 Fantasy Trope

Fantasy Trope

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 136 posts
  • Location:Sto-vo-kor
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[EZ]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:33 PM

View PostKrazzar, on 19 February 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

I figured out  my password and logged back into GW1.  There were 5 people in Lion's Arch.  I traveled around other outposts and didn't see a soul.  I might play a mission or two later.

When I play, most everyone is in Kamadan.  A lot of people seem to hang out in Temple of Ages too.

#13 Satenia

Satenia

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 205 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CULT]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

I tend to play here and there when there is some special event around. Like just recently, I've played for a few hours during the canthan new year event, primarily to get another mini pet. After getting past the "my eyes bleed cause of the graphics" part, I actually still enjoy the game a lot, especially the whole heroes-thing.

If I had more time available, I would definitely still play it...

#14 gw2guruaccount

gw2guruaccount

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:54 AM

View PostEl Duderino, on 19 February 2014 - 01:58 PM, said:

Dude, it's a dead game for the most part. You can't expect a forum built around a game from 9 years that is now dead to be very active. The point is that there is a very real group of people, with long friends' lists that played the PvP in that game religiously. They are all, pretty much, playing LoL right now. They have no other outlet. But, don't think GW1's PvP was bad or wouldn't attract a crowd.

Seriously, I can't imagine it would cost much for ANet to release an old Prophecies only PvP campaign and try and capitalize on it. The reward could be immense given the very low risk. There is nothing on the market like it currently and it had serious promise before ANet decided to cave the PvE crowd.

I bet if you asked Anet for it they would be willing. I also bet no one has really asked except in some goof email maybe. Petitions work.

#15 El Duderino

El Duderino

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2248 posts
  • Location:Drowning in a White Russian listening to Creedence
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[DuDE]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:28 AM

View Postgw2guruaccount, on 20 February 2014 - 02:54 AM, said:

I bet if you asked Anet for it they would be willing. I also bet no one has really asked except in some goof email maybe. Petitions work.

I may have to try this. How many names do you think one would have to get to catch their attention?

#16 Robsy128

Robsy128

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2918 posts
  • Location:Rata Sum
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Server:Yak’s Bend

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

Not to be a jerk or anything, but aren't we already discussing GW1 in this thread? http://www.guildwars...rs/page__st__90

Either way, no, I'm not still playing simply because there is nothing of interest left to do. I've done everything I wanted to do, and have even done things I never wanted to do to keep the game alive. But it's been dead for a while now.

#17 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3265 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

Sweet zodiac tits! Today's ZM is Gates of Kryta and I have to say doing the mission was the most I've been excited about Lion's Arch in days!

#18 Miragee

Miragee

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:22 AM

OPs question: Yes, not necessarily every day but pretty much anything between 5 and 60 hours a week depending on my scedule and desire.

View Postgw2guruaccount, on 18 February 2014 - 08:20 PM, said:

Who else? Also, curious, so you would only play the game in it's earliest stages. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing; games that are frozen in time and never progress tend to lose their luster.

As dude said, PvP games often don't lose their luster. I also like jumping back a bit on CS 1.6 (though I've gotten ridicously bad, still fun^^) and there are many people/servers to jump in. I also watch korean Starcraft: Broodwar every week. It doesn't grow stale and that game has 15 years of no expansion and over 10 years of no patch. Competetion holds a lot of interest alone. And in those games strategy and plays change every game. BW to this state has even a still evolving wide-variety meta. It's beautiful.

View PostKrazzar, on 19 February 2014 - 05:46 PM, said:

I figured out  my password and logged back into GW1.  There were 5 people in Lion's Arch.  I traveled around other outposts and didn't see a soul.  I might play a mission or two later.

There aren't many people hanging around in outposts. GtoB, Kamadan and maybe some other ToA, RA, Zaishen Outposts, Vlox etc. Poeple mostly play everything solo or with guilds, there isn't much pugging going on beside for zaishen/ABs.

#19 ilr

ilr

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2726 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:46 PM

Yeah I still log in and *ick around a bit .... (meanwhile last autumn was the final time I logged into Gw2).

It's really nice actually in that I never have to worry about my main PvE builds being completely destroyed anymore just because Jonathan Sharp's awful Warrior build lost another match to a Ranger or Ele

#20 turbo234

turbo234

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1039 posts
  • Location:Oak Creek, WI
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

If they had steady updates like they used to I would. There's just hardly anything left for me there, which upsets me because gw1 was still the best mmo I've played to this day when it was still relevant. It's been all but abandoned since gw2 released.

#21 Echou

Echou

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 286 posts
  • Location:Finland
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[ESP]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

I don't see any reason for returning (maybe the birthday gifts). I played the living crap out of GW1 on its golden days. It has nothing to offer anymore.

#22 Lol Lol Lol Guy

Lol Lol Lol Guy

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 545 posts
  • Location:Florida
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[iSPY]
  • Server:Devona's Rest

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

View PostSatenia, on 19 February 2014 - 10:46 PM, said:

I tend to play here and there when there is some special event around. Like just recently, I've played for a few hours during the canthan new year event, primarily to get another mini pet. After getting past the "my eyes bleed cause of the graphics" part, I actually still enjoy the game a lot, especially the whole heroes-thing.

If I had more time available, I would definitely still play it...

See, i still think the game is rather good looking, for it's time. Maybe its just nostalgia but whenever I hop back on I tend to think wow this game is really pretty still!

Also, i hopped on yesterday, found out I had missed my 6th birthday, clicked it to see what it was, and it was an everlasting shiro tonic -_- why oh why couldnt i have gotten that when i played with an active community..

#23 Cube

Cube

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 564 posts
  • Location:A Web of Lies
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

I still play. And I am very excited about the AB week that starts tomorrow. Alliance Battles is my favourite PvP in all of Guild Wars. I know some people think it sucks it isn't like how it was in prophecies or whatever, but the game is still good. It still has that kick you get from succeeding in something. The only thing that sucks is that it's filled with people playing rupting bots so sometimes you end up with unfair battles in any PvP arena.

I know people throw the "dead game" thing around everywhere, but from actually actively playing it certainty isn't how it was before GW2 made everyone leave, but it gets more and more populated each day in my opinion. There's still a lack in PvP, but I think that is lazyness. People don't want to try get anything but JQ going so nobody goes beyond RA, GvG and occasionally HA. Oh and Codex, but I don't know if anyone plays that.

#24 Miragee

Miragee

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:41 PM

View PostCube, on 23 February 2014 - 10:37 PM, said:

Oh and Codex, but I don't know if anyone plays that.

Codex is mostly a bunch of stupid sync farmers and only gets a little population during bonus weeks. I played for 5 hours today and it was fun as long as you hit real teams.
On the note: I think Codex is a really nice idea for a game like GW but it would need more refinement in terms of which skills are selected. Healers are pretty much screwed in the current selection. Nevertheless, spear ritu works atm. and it's so much fun. :D

#25 Baron von Scrufflebutt

Baron von Scrufflebutt

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 3265 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

♥♥♥♥ing Forgewight!
It's today's ZQuest and those SF/SH ele-teams are the worst thing ever. The bastards have an insanely long leash, and then they'll 3-shoot the whole team. I was instantly reminded why I almost never do it. Also, I've never been happier that it's the Four Clover week-thingy.

#26 Gyre

Gyre

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 148 posts
  • Location:The Painted World of Ariamis

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

I do still play though predominantly to farm and run chests, 20k and counting.  It's relaxing to have no clear goal other than the activity itself and no timer or achievement points.

#27 raspberry jam

raspberry jam

    Vigil Crusader

  • Members
  • 4794 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:45 AM

Yeah I play, sometimes, just to see what is going on, randomly join people for missions, not that that happens a lot but still, etc.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users