8 replies to this topic

#1 gwgchrisatzazzle

gwgchrisatzazzle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:56 AM

Restrict Mounts to NPC/Enemy lore

This post is in support of mounts in GW2.  BUT to restrict mounts to NPC's and enemies.  

This would exclude small cosmetic toy mounts like the boomstick and Sonic Tunneling Tool.   As they are small mechanical or magical devices.  And they don't restrict other players views.  

1. NPC lore  
*Taimi needs her mount Scruffy to move around.  She has a reason for her NEED a mount.  But if all players suddenly had mounts, NPC's like Taimi would feel less unique.
*Mounts are for the disabled, sick, or wounded npc's.

2. Mounted enemies
*Some rare mounted bosses would be cool to fight.

3. Player mounts are a waist of new content!
*I would rather have a badass mounted world boss then everyone riding around on the same mount.

In short only NPC's with a special needs and enemies can have mounts.  This I feel adds to the lore and make the game feel more dangerous.

#2 Tevesh

Tevesh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

What is the advantage of the mounted enemy versus a traditional one, from the player point? If you want it to execute trampling attacks and charges, there are already centaur enemies, golems, wurms and many other types of creatures to do it. If you want it from purely a lore/immersion point of view, what sense does it make for some select NPCs to have it and most others and player not? Is a horse such a luxury in a world of happy fiesta steam punk, magic, infinite fresh water and food supplies?

Not to mention that the one and only reason we do not have player mounts is not any lore or content concern (everybody knows mounts sell well), but rather the tiny game world that we are having that can not possibly be shrinked even more by mounts, which is especially true for WvW zones.

Edited by Tevesh, 07 April 2014 - 07:09 AM.

#3 ZCKS

ZCKS

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1429 posts
  • Guild Tag:[TG]
  • Server:Isle of Janthir

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

I think mounts should be added to the game at some point.

That being said I don't think mounts should go faster then +33% normal movement speed & you should be dismounted when struck by an attack.

I say this because any faster and the world space would become much much smaller & mounted combat would likely cause all kinds of problems in PVP/WvW.

Now all that being said I can see them being able to make some future boss fights very intrusting by using piloted golems like those found in the books.

#4 Tevesh

Tevesh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

View PostZCKS, on 07 April 2014 - 07:22 AM, said:

I think mounts should be added to the game at some point.

That being said I don't think mounts should go faster then +33% normal movement speed & you should be dismounted when struck by an attack.

Which makes the mount a vastly inferior swiftness buff. I mean, really? I would not take it even if they paid me. Unless they remove the miriads of crowd control annoyance mob from like every zone which are just there to slow your pace through the zone to a crawl, which is, yet again, done to make the zones appear larger by slowing you. But then again, what would be the advantage of the mount over swiftness?

Edited by Tevesh, 07 April 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#5 gwgchrisatzazzle

gwgchrisatzazzle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

View PostTevesh, on 07 April 2014 - 07:08 AM, said:

What is the advantage of the mounted enemy versus a traditional one, from the player point? If you want it to execute trampling attacks and charges, there are already centaur enemies, golems, wurms and many other types of creatures to do it. If you want it from purely a lore/immersion point of view, what sense does it make for some select NPCs to have it and most others and player not? Is a horse such a luxury in a world of happy fiesta steam punk, magic, infinite fresh water and food supplies?

Not to mention that the one and only reason we do not have player mounts is not any lore or content concern (everybody knows mounts sell well), but rather the tiny game world that we are having that can not possibly be shrinked even more by mounts, which is especially true for WvW zones.
Mounted enemies would have greater range, speed, mounted skills and dismount would allow mount to act as a pet.

Enemy mounts would be untenable, dangerous, monsters.  
NPC mounts will not be horses.  They would follow Taimi example and be rare.

Player mounts are a content concern to me.  As they are just a flashy gimmick that adds little to the game.  Uses up resources that can be spent elsewhere.

#6 Tevesh

Tevesh

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1005 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:36 AM

While your concern for resource allocation is admirable, it's not like those resources are presently being spent on where it is needed like balance, new classes or weapons, new permanent zones or global enhancements of the dynamic event system, dungeons and FOTM.

Adding or not adding mounts will not change anything in the grand scheme of things, since it's not the sheer amount of hight quality new content they are pouring out that prevents them from fixing what is broken, but rather the limited staff, financing and poor management decisions.

#7 raspberry jam

raspberry jam

Vigil Crusader

• Members
  • 4844 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:34 PM

I like how mounted enemies were done in GW1. They were normal enemies in every way, but looked like a guy sitting on a drake or some butt ugly monster.

#8 Datenshi92

Datenshi92

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2391 posts
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:38 PM

Since you included Taimi and Scruffy for this topic I assume that means mechanical mounts are acceptable. If that's the case, the game already has a prime example where enemies have "mounts" - I'm talking about the dredge and their mining suits. Mounted dredge are more powerful and resilient than their foot soldier kinsmen and their attacks also differ.

For transportation, Charr have vehicles, Dredge have their mining carts, the Pact has airships, and Lion's Arch used to have ships. These last two we rode in GW2 and in more than one occasion, but as part of our personal story.

As for horses, the lore seems to indicate that they were native to Orr but the Great Cataclysm probably drove them to extinction. It happened during the events of the Prophecies campaign in GW1 and I still remember meeting Necric Horsemen across the region of Kryta. But those mounts were more cosmetic than anything else really. More so than wondering about the nature of horses, I wonder where did all the horsemen went, the undead kind. I would have assumed to see Zhaitan with a few of them but alas...

Off-topic:
No offense, but you're not the first nor the last to suggest adding mounts to the game and times and times again there has been both sides of the conversation, attempting to pull the strings to their side. This is a on-going topic that has been going on since Beta and it doesn't matter who's side is right or wrong, has better excuses, suggestions or lore to back it all up, ANet has said that they DON'T want to add mounts (like those in WoW) to the game. Period.

The closest middle ground we have, with no buffs or bonuses and just purely cosmetic, is the Riding Broom.

Edited by Datenshi92, 07 April 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#9 gwgchrisatzazzle

gwgchrisatzazzle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:16 PM

Basicly I am saying, keep the game as it is now.  But add to the mounted NPC/Enemy idea.

Mounts are more interesting if they stay in select NPC and select enemy hands.  As they add more depth to the game world.  By having more NPC's and enemies in steamtech, cyberteck, magitech machines and monster mounts.  

I think the individual player should feel like they are at a disadvantage to enemies while traveling.  
*Player mounts make the game world less dangerous.
*Mounted enemies would make the open world more dangerous.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mounts, lore, anti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users