• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 3 votes

Buying/Building a PC? Check here First! (The Suggested builds thread)

• Please log in to reply
2344 replies to this topic

#2341 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3342 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

View Postnamasher, on 03 October 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

gonna leave the cpu cooler for later when i begin the OC plan when i change the mobo
This may be another typo, but, you'll want to change the CPU (and the motherboard) if you want to overclock at some later time. You'll want a processor that ends with 'K', such as the i5-4690K or i7-4790K, plus an overclock friendly 'Z' series motherboard (Z97 chipset).
If you actually think you might overclock later you should get those parts now. But I wouldn't worry about it much, you'll probably be so happy with the performance of your new system, you won't ever bother to overclock it.
(For example, I used to get OC friendly parts for many years, but after never actually OC'ing in the past 7 years or so, I've finally given up even buying the required parts. :) However, I do have an i5-3570K, because it was the fastest at the time, and I do use a CM Hyper TX3 because it's very quiet.)

Edited by Quaker, 04 October 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#2342 Tyson19

Tyson19

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostQuaker, on 04 October 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

This may be another typo, but, you'll want to change the CPU (and the motherboard) if you want to overclock at some later time. You'll want a processor that ends with 'K', such as the i5-4690K or i7-4790K, plus an overclock friendly 'Z' series motherboard (Z97 chipset).
If you actually think you might overclock later you should get those parts now. But I wouldn't worry about it much, you'll probably be so happy with the performance of your new system, you won't ever bother to overclock it.
(For example, I used to get OC friendly parts for many years, but after never actually OC'ing in the past 7 years or so, I've finally given up even buying the required parts. :) However, I do have an i5-3570K, because it was the fastest at the time, and I do use a CM Hyper TX3 because it's very quiet.)

Thanks for the guide.

#2343 Krakilin24

Krakilin24

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

Just curious as I am rather computer retarded I am wondering if http://www.dell.com/...lienware-x51-r2 would run GW2 well for wvw. the funds are not truly an issue (as people seem to hate alienware) and quaker I would love your input as well as you seem super knowledgeable.

#2344 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3342 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted Yesterday, 01:56 PM

Given the specs of the linked config, it should play GW2 quite well. You can't get much better than the i7-4790 for a processor - which is the main concern for WvW - and the 760 Ti is more than adequate for 'high' graphics settings (at 1920x1080).
We'd have to check out various reviews of it to see if there are any specific problems or missing features, but the specs are certainly good enough. One concern might be cooling - it might get hot during a lengthy GW2 session, because of the small case.

http://www.stuff.tv/...x51-2014/review

Edited by Quaker, Yesterday, 02:01 PM.

#2345 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2011 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted Today, 05:00 AM

View PostKrakilin24, on 22 October 2014 - 09:01 AM, said:

Just curious as I am rather computer retarded I am wondering if http://www.dell.com/...lienware-x51-r2 would run GW2 well for wvw. the funds are not truly an issue (as people seem to hate alienware) and quaker I would love your input as well as you seem super knowledgeable.

The usual concern with Alienware is that you're often getting less for your money than other options. But at least in this case you're getting a small form factor which is somewhat unique and a bit more complicated to do yourself. If this is what you want, and you're happy with the price, I won't try to convince you otherwise.

As far as the system specs go, this should be a very solid system for most modern games at 1080p. GW2 in particular will run very well (or at least as well as it does for anyone).

Cooling is theoretically more of a concern in a small form factor due to less airflow, but I'd hope that a $1600 Alienware PC has taken that into account in its design. You can't overclock an i7-4790, and the GTX 760 Ti isn't going to get very hot either. Pay attention to your hardware temperatures from time to time, as any PC gamer should, but I think it will be fine.

Edited by typographie, Today, 05:02 AM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users