• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 3 votes

Buying/Building a PC? Check here First! (The Suggested builds thread)

• Please log in to reply
2341 replies to this topic

#2341 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3340 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 04 October 2014 - 03:00 PM

View Postnamasher, on 03 October 2014 - 08:46 PM, said:

gonna leave the cpu cooler for later when i begin the OC plan when i change the mobo
This may be another typo, but, you'll want to change the CPU (and the motherboard) if you want to overclock at some later time. You'll want a processor that ends with 'K', such as the i5-4690K or i7-4790K, plus an overclock friendly 'Z' series motherboard (Z97 chipset).
If you actually think you might overclock later you should get those parts now. But I wouldn't worry about it much, you'll probably be so happy with the performance of your new system, you won't ever bother to overclock it.
(For example, I used to get OC friendly parts for many years, but after never actually OC'ing in the past 7 years or so, I've finally given up even buying the required parts. :) However, I do have an i5-3570K, because it was the fastest at the time, and I do use a CM Hyper TX3 because it's very quiet.)

Edited by Quaker, 04 October 2014 - 03:02 PM.

#2342 Tyson19

Tyson19

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:20 PM

View PostQuaker, on 04 October 2014 - 03:00 PM, said:

This may be another typo, but, you'll want to change the CPU (and the motherboard) if you want to overclock at some later time. You'll want a processor that ends with 'K', such as the i5-4690K or i7-4790K, plus an overclock friendly 'Z' series motherboard (Z97 chipset).
If you actually think you might overclock later you should get those parts now. But I wouldn't worry about it much, you'll probably be so happy with the performance of your new system, you won't ever bother to overclock it.
(For example, I used to get OC friendly parts for many years, but after never actually OC'ing in the past 7 years or so, I've finally given up even buying the required parts. :) However, I do have an i5-3570K, because it was the fastest at the time, and I do use a CM Hyper TX3 because it's very quiet.)

Thanks for the guide.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users