• Curse Sites
Help
* * * * * 3 votes

Buying/Building a PC? Check here First! (The Suggested builds thread)

• Please log in to reply
2312 replies to this topic

#61 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 02:55 AM

While I agree their quality control is inconsistent, I'm still quite confident that they have a few of average-decent modules, either way as I had said, I picked the GeiL to use as a template before I found a better candidate.

I'm still unhappy with that $1000 build though. :zzz:

#62 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:01 AM

And I've built PCs for 13 years, and I'd sooner take my .22 semiauto to an ASRock than put it in a build.  That company cost me a LOT of money back in the day, and the last ASRock board I had the misfortune of dealing with (P35 chipset) collapsed in a LITERAL blaze of glory.

My job is industry journalist and reviewer, so I get to play with a LOT of this stuff.  

While I agree on the 5000 series (HD5770) the Intel SSDs have been the standard for a while for completeness of features, not just speed. TRIM implementation, garbage collection, and the fact that the warranty is pretty much better than everyone else's.  Also, show me a faster SLC drive.  

And, GEiL has been putting out high-quality, name brad and highly respected RAM since at least the AXP era.  I've used about 30 sets over the years in consumer and personal builds, and I have absolutely 0 returns or losses.  

I do not put budget boards in anything, period.  I have been burned too many times to ever consider it.  Nor do I use budget power supplies.  That Rosewill WILL cause tears down the road for someone.  It's not capable of running the rated voltage, and its rails look like stock market graphs.

Over more than a decade of computer work, I refuse to put cheap components in because they're cheap.  There are always better alternatives.
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817139018 would be a FAR better choice.  

That said, the build choices might look a bit different coming from me, but they are solid spec machines.  I appreciate your time in coming up with the price pointed builds.

#63 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:18 AM

Serafita Kayin said:

I do not put budget boards in anything, period.  I have been burned too many times to ever consider it.  Nor do I use budget power supplies.  That Rosewill WILL cause tears down the road for someone.  It's not capable of running the rated voltage, and its rails look like stock market graphs.

That CX500 you recommended is a pile of trash, it barely outputs ~400w at ~30c room temp, the Rosewills are far better.

Here's a quote from my PSU guide:

Undead Cheese said:

So Corsair released their budget CX430, CX500, and CX600 PSU's recently.

First of all, the CX430 is actually worser than the older CX400 (which was a good S12II build), and has less output on the 12v rail. (28A on the CX430 vs the 30A on the CX400) I would call the CX430 more or less a good 350W PSU, it's still decent, just not 430w decent. In short, the CX400 is better.

The CX500 is a CWT DSA build, CWT DSA's are decent-ish up to 500w, nothing more, but realisticly this is more like a 400-450w.

Now the CX600 is also a CWT DSA unit, but the DSA is only good up to 500w, so how do they squeeze another 100w out of it? they rate the PSU at an unrealistic 30 degrees, the oldest trick in the book when it comes to bad PSU's. The CX600 is nothing more than a 450-500w in disguise.

Now, I understand they have to cut costs, but this is low, really low. Corsair built up a reputation for putting out nothing but quality units, now they are abusing their brand name recognition to put out shoddy PSU's.

Corsair, I am dissapoint.

Now, lets talk about the Rosewill, their quality of PSU's are inconsistent, however the Rosewill Green series of PSU's use a reputable OEM (ATNG), which is comparable to Antec's Earthwatts line. Their older units used rubbish OEM's, like Solytec (and I think they used some low end Sirtec?) which is why they built up a negative reputation. In short, the name of the manufacturer does not matter, it's the OEM they use. You can check the reviews of the Rosewill Green's at HWS here and then tell me again they're not good budget PSU's compared to the CX500/600.

The CX430 isn't actually that bad, although it's weaker than the CX400 and is overrated by about 50w, it's still a huge step above the CX500 and CX600, which are overrated by 100-200w.

Edited by Undead, 22 November 2010 - 02:57 AM.
NPA

#64 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 03:31 AM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115067
i5 760 LGA 1156 $208.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813130239
MSI P55-GD65 motherboard $159.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820227582
OCZ 2x2GB DDR3 memory kit $52.99x2

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814121399
ASUS HD6850 1GB $189.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16827136144
LG 22X DVD-RW $17.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822152173
Samsung F2 1TB HDD $59.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371016
Antec Earthwatts 550W PSU $64.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811112218
Lian-Li PC-A05B $89.99

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16832116754
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit $99.99

Total $997.90, with no corners cut on any component.  Also 8GB of RAM and an HD 6 series card.

Edited by Serafita Kayin, 21 November 2010 - 03:34 AM.

#65 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 04:49 AM

MSI isn't that great for high end.

OCZ Gold?, that's definitely a no aswell.

1x HD 6850 compared to 2x GTX 460, are you having a laugh?

Why an F2?

Antec EA550 for $65?, if you're going to spend that much, you could get a far superior Seasonic S12II-520 for $60.

Lian-Li PC-A05B has bad airflow...

Edited by Undead, 22 November 2010 - 02:56 AM.

#66 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 05:25 AM

Before you make those statements, are you sure you know who you've made them to?

http://www.thebestca.../?q=staff#Kayin

This is my day job.  Technical advisor on the journalism staff of TheBestCaseScenario.  I have contacts at most major board companies, Ultra, Enermax, AMD, and Intel, to name a few.  As to power supplies, I own a pair of oscilloscopes (B+K Precision quad-trace 100MHz and a 50MHz dual-trace) a Kill-a-Watt, calibrated Fluke 117, FLIR IR thermometer, and I can get a FLIR IR camera if I feel I need it.  That's JUST for PSU testing.  

Now, on to the specs.

MSI is a perfectly fine choice, because a 1k build isn't that high end, honestly.  The Gigabyte board is an equal sub, but I tend to like MSI.  I use an awful lot of the stuff.  A single card is still well overkill for this.  If you're using anything up to a 24" monitor, you'll never tell the difference between one 6850 and 460s except in the power bill and wallet.  Having enough cards to pretty much do what I want with here, I can tell you that dual is not really a price-conscious move unless you still wanna play Crysis maxed out on a 30" monitor.  I learned that lesson with the pair of 4870x2s I'm playing on.  As for RAM, honestly just get 4 sticks of Kingston ValueRAM.  I never get the stuff to error, and I'm still buying sticks with Micron D9s on there.  These are not meant for overclocking-they're meant to simply sit and be used.  

Carrying forward, I'm honestly surprised this isn't a 1090T.  It should be, at this price point.  Gaming benchmarks are a LOT closer on these two than synthetics, and these aren't being built to race.  I have a 1090T and an i7 860 here sitting right next to each other.  Either with a 5770 handles anything I wish to play on a 24" monitor.  There is no such thing as a future-proof configuration, and there's little sense in trying to pick parts for a game with no announced requirements and no ETA.  The builds are solid choices for now, and will almost certainly work well in the future, but there's no sense in wasting people's money on some of these items.  I can play GW maxed out on a single 5770 or my dual 4870x2s, or even on one of my 8800GTS 320s.  If we're going to be dealing with a game written to scale as GW did, I think dual 460s are a serious waste of money, electricity, and waste heat.

Also, I looked up the latest JonnyGURU reviews on the AX series, and I was surprised to see 9.5 and 9.8 for the scores.  Completely trash PSUs don't get scores like that.  But I routinely use Antec, Ultra, Cooler Master, XFX, Seasonic, and many other PSU manufacturers.  Spreading provably false information about a manufacturer is a disservice to everyone who reads this section.  

And as for "don't know what I'm talking about," my name IS on manufacturer's websites for PSU reviews.  I have zero issue with you disagreeing with me.  Telling me I don't know what I'm doing when it's actually my job is another story.

#67 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:07 AM

Who said these builds are specifically for GW2?, I sure didn't.

The Corsair AX series are not the CX series, the AX isn't trash, the newer CX500/600 PSU's are (big difference in the letter A and C)... The AX850 also has little point as it has only slightly better ripple supression and effiency as opposed to the HX850, it isn't worth the extra $.

Show me proof that the Rosewill Green's are bad PSU's.

Edited by Undead, 22 November 2010 - 02:58 AM.
NPA

#68 Gw2Fanatic

Gw2Fanatic

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:18 AM

A good website to buy computers/laptops from or buy parts or even pre made kits if you're from uk is from http://www.overclockers.co.uk/ you get way more for your money then your average pc world or retail market. I got my own titan goliath there for 1.1k and it's working a treat !

#69 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[Heil]
  • Server:Maguuma

Posted 21 November 2010 - 11:46 AM

Serafita Kayin said:

And I've built PCs for 13 years, and I'd sooner take my .22 semiauto to an ASRock than put it in a build.  That company cost me a LOT of money back in the day, and the last ASRock board I had the misfortune of dealing with (P35 chipset) collapsed in a LITERAL blaze of glory.

What ASRock was 3+ years ago and what they are now are two COMPLETELY different things.  

They were restructured by ASUS (who owns them), and are absolutely amazing since said restructure.  Their newest boards have received glowing reviews around the net, and I use the P55 Extreme in my rig that I am typing this on as we speak.  It is rock solid stable, with a 4GHz OCed Corei7-860 and some very nicely overclocked GTX 460s (900MHz core, 1,900MHz memory)

Suffice to say, this board is the definition of a good deal.  I have the same if not more features for 50-75 dollars cheaper than everything else.  Now... whatever experience you have back in the day Kayin is irrelevant to the discussion here.  ASRock is the choice when it comes to low to mid-high end boards.  The only instance where their boards are no longer amazing is in the high end to bleeding edge markets, where price is far less a factor.

Also... CFX and SLi scale absolutely beautifully on the newest cards (ie, GTX 580/400 series and HD 6000 cards)  It's foolish not to consider them for gaming rigs.  Two GTX 460s or HD6850s are unstoppable when pitted against pretty much any game at any settings beyond the few freakish games that no one really plays, but point out their frames per second for epeen.  

On a 24" monitor (1920x1200/1080), you want to have a lot of horsepower to run the mid-high to high end games at highest quality with tons of AA.  The image quality boosts are phenomenal.  Again, I own and use 2x GTX 460 1GB cards in SLi, and suffice to say, they absolute slaughter any single card on the market (the GTX 580 can give them a run for their money, but they are also cheaper, so it's a give take)

Edited by Lord Sojar, 21 November 2010 - 11:52 AM.

#70 Faer

Faer

King of Guild Wars

• Moderators
  • Curse Premium
  • 1878 posts
  • Guild Tag:[HKIA]
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 21 November 2010 - 07:51 PM

Lord Sojar said:

Intel's SSDs are overpriced and underperforming.  That's why they are garbage.  Sandforce's controllers easily outpace Intel's stuff.  Even Intel's newest controller  that has yet to be released can just barely beat out the current (and almost year old) Sandforce based drives.  Intel's SSDs are junk.
Okay, that's Intel out of the way. Now please cover the rest of the listed SSDs and why they are garbage.

#71 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 08:13 PM

From my POV, while SSDs are quite fast, they are still expensive for their size and honestly, they're not big enough either.  I ran a 32GB SSD for an OS drive for quite a while, and I really spent all my time managing where my data went, not using my computer.  Sure, a 64GB would be simpler in that respect, but I watched my sales and got a pair of Samsung F1 1TB drives in RAID that I'm much more content with.  

Are SSDs really that big a improvement?  Yep.  Are they worth it?  Up to the individual to decide.

Also, if ASUS bought ASrock, that gives me 0 confidence, but I'll take your word that they're improving.  We both work in positions to know, and I simply haven't heard anything out of them in forever.  I have a pair of 300+ dollar ASUS server boards that were both DOA with no support at all.  They're not high in my estimation, but it doesn't mean that others don't have good experiences with them.  Kind of like the deal with me and MSI, I've worked very closely with them for about 4 years now, and the only reason I gave up my P55-GD65 was a discount on this Gigabyte P55-UD4P because they were establishing themselves with TBCS.  I traded up because we have both SATA6 and USB3 devices in this house, and I wanted to be able to test with my rig as well.

Good to be working with you again, Sojar.  Who picked you up after you left the green team?
If I see you flaming, I'm going to assume you're on fire and put you out.

#72 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

Serafita Kayin said:

From my POV, while SSDs are quite fast, they are still expensive for their size and honestly, they're not big enough either.  I ran a 32GB SSD for an OS drive for quite a while, and I really spent all my time managing where my data went, not using my computer.  Sure, a 64GB would be simpler in that respect, but I watched my sales and got a pair of Samsung F1 1TB drives in RAID that I'm much more content with.  

Are SSDs really that big a improvement?  Yep.  Are they worth it?  Up to the individual to decide.

Also, if ASUS bought ASrock, that gives me 0 confidence, but I'll take your word that they're improving.  We both work in positions to know, and I simply haven't heard anything out of them in forever.  I have a pair of 300+ dollar ASUS server boards that were both DOA with no support at all.  They're not high in my estimation, but it doesn't mean that others don't have good experiences with them.  Kind of like the deal with me and MSI, I've worked very closely with them for about 4 years now, and the only reason I gave up my P55-GD65 was a discount on this Gigabyte P55-UD4P because they were establishing themselves with TBCS.  I traded up because we have both SATA6 and USB3 devices in this house, and I wanted to be able to test with my rig as well.

Good to be working with you again, Sojar.  Who picked you up after you left the green team?

I'm changing fields, specifically I want to be a professor.  Back in school for more years working on a couple more degrees, specifically another PhD (this one is Sociology) and a Masters in German.  :)

I own a 60GB GSkill Phoenix drive, and all I have to say is....  :surprised::eek::D

I plan to get another for my XMAS gift to myself and RAID 0 them, because... well...  OMG RAIDED SSDS LAWL.   You get the idea I'm sure.  :)

Faer said:

Okay, that's Intel out of the way. Now please cover  the rest of the listed SSDs and why they are garbage.

Anything not Sandforce based is a waste of money.  You pay a slight premium for the Sandforce based drives, but they are at the top of the charts in performance on every single metric.  That was my point.  Intel has the same or higher prices for drives that perform worse.  Sense, it makes none.  Any drive based on the Barefoot controller is also garbage, and severely outdated.  They might be 20 USD cheaper, but... you lose 25-75% in performance, and that just isn't worth saving a couple bucks here and there.

Edited by Lord Sojar, 21 November 2010 - 09:44 PM.

#73 snograt

snograt

rattus rattus

• Site Contributors
  • Curse Premium
  • 410 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[wiki]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 21 November 2010 - 10:26 PM

Let's keep it friendly, eh fellas?

I've removed a couple of what could be construed as personal attacks - try to remember that everyone is entitled to their opinion, even when it doesn't coincide with yours.

#74 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:02 AM

Lord Sojar said:

It is rock solid stable, with a 4GHz OCed Corei7-860

Just a quick question if you don't mind me asking... what VTT/IMC and PLL volts do you use for 4GHz?

#75 Gigashadow

Gigashadow

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2363 posts
  • Guild Tag:[CYBG]
  • Server:Stormbluff Isle

Posted 22 November 2010 - 03:39 AM

Lord Sojar said:

I plan to get another for my XMAS gift to myself and RAID 0 them, because... well...  OMG RAIDED SSDS LAWL.   You get the idea I'm sure.  :)

Anything not Sandforce based is a waste of money.  You pay a slight premium for the Sandforce based drives, but they are at the top of the charts in performance on every single metric.  That was my point.  Intel has the same or higher prices for drives that perform worse.  Sense, it makes none.  Any drive based on the Barefoot controller is also garbage, and severely outdated.  They might be 20 USD cheaper, but... you lose 25-75% in performance, and that just isn't worth saving a couple bucks here and there.

I've got a couple questions here:

1. Do you lose TRIM if you RAID?
2. Aren't SSDs hitting the SATA2 transfer limit anyway?  Am I really going to notice the difference between different brands of SSDs, outside of benchmarks?

#76 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 04:17 AM

Undead Cheese said:

Just a quick question if you don't mind me asking... what VTT/IMC and PLL volts do you use for 4GHz?

VTT is at 1.4V, PLL is at 1.875V, CPU voltage is at 1.4V as well.  

Mind you, I use the Noctua D14 cooler, which is, arguably, the best air cooler on the market.  It's better than most liquid cooling setups.  So, I wouldn't try this with any old cooler.  ;)

@Gigashadow

1).  Yes, you lose TRIM support raiding SSDs.

2).  No, only the highest end Sandforce 1222 and 15xx drives can hit the SATA2 barrier.  Intel's MLC SSDs and Indilinx Barefoot/Martini based SSDs cannot hit the ceiling.

#77 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]

Posted 22 November 2010 - 05:32 PM

Serafita Kayin said:

Also, if ASUS bought ASrock, that gives me 0 confidence, but I'll take your word that they're improving.
ASRock was a direct ASUS subsidiary that produced their bargain motherboard line ASRock.  Last spring ASRock was moved from under ASUS and is now under an independent corp called Pegatron that is owned by the same people who own ASUS.

I think Sojar is being a bit hypocritical by supporting ASRock and trashing Geil who are basically in the same position.  ASRock has always been a Gems & Rubble manufacturer.  They have a few good products that get rave reviews because the price makes them great values but also have made many pieces of cheap junk.  The restructuring under Pegatron seems to be a move to allow ASRock to come out from under ASUS and make ASRock a more respected brand name, but with less than a year as independent its a bit early to see how it will end up.  For now I think its best to look at the professional reviews and only recommend the ASRock products that get those glowing recommendations.

I just ordered a 120GB OCZ Vertex 2 for $220 - $30 MIR = $190 (available at newegg thru 11/30).  They are getting much more affordable.  In a week Ill be either grumbling about wasting money or ecstatic at the enhancement.

Edited by dhatcher1, 22 November 2010 - 05:38 PM.

#78 Undead

Undead

Technician

• Technicians
  • 861 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 07:48 AM

Lord Sojar said:

VTT is at 1.4V, PLL is at 1.875V, CPU voltage is at 1.4V as well.  

Pretty high VTT there, what's your take on the Lynnfields sudden voltage limit change of the IMC's?, they were 1.21v at first and suddenly increased to 1.4v shortly after.

#79 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

Might have something to do with the things welding themselves into the Foxconn sockets.

I'm gonna be selling my Lynnfield on though.  Still worth something and I don't like it as much as I thought I would.

#80 Lord Sojar

Lord Sojar

Mesmer of Death

• Site Contributors
  • 2111 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:01 PM

Undead Cheese said:

Pretty high VTT there, what's your take on the Lynnfields sudden voltage limit change of the IMC's?, they were 1.21v at first and suddenly increased to 1.4v shortly after.

It's rock solid stable.  Honestly, not sure on the increase on the VTT.  My guess is that it had to due with people blowing their chips with overclocking.  The release of the Corei7-875K I believe it is needed to ensure that Intel created the chips with the ability to hit higher clocks.  So, they likely changed the VTT across all the chips in order to have viable K edition Lynnfields.  Just my guess though.

#81 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:07 PM

That's an excellent thought as well.  The Ks were a necessary move versus the BEs that AMD is producing, so they'd have to have some voltage headroom.

#82 Malice

Malice

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 08:32 PM

So, couple of these good in RAID?

http://www.overclock...atid=14&subcat=

#83 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:19 PM

Got enough space for 2 HSDL cards?  I don't think they're RAID capable, they're probably actually internally RAIDed.

If it lives up to what it says, nice though.

#84 Malice

Malice

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:25 PM

It's for a new build. Just costing up parts etc at the minute. I like to get a few opinions before I actually purchase anything.

#85 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:34 PM

As a boot drive, it would be blinding fast, but if you're already gonna give up a slot, look at some of the PCI-E based RAIDed SSDs.  Since we're playing in that ballpark.

#86 Malice

Malice

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:40 PM

So you're thinking something more like this?

http://www.overclock...=14&subcat=1427

#87 Serafita Kayin

Serafita Kayin

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 23 November 2010 - 09:57 PM

If you're going to A. spend the money and B. use the slot, yes.

#88 Greek

Greek

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:33 PM

I have the Alienware Area 51-ALX with dual 5970's... slightly overkill for GW2, methinks, but fun nonetheless :)

#89 MetalMan

MetalMan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 09:52 PM

Whats the difference in performance between the Budget build and the Standard build, for the UK market? For GW2 and other upcoming games, is it really worth the extra £300ish? My current computer is broken, and my laptop wouldn't run GW2 easily, so i'm hoping to save some money and get one of the builds by around September 2011.

#90 dhatcher1

dhatcher1

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3786 posts
  • Guild Tag:[SAnD]

Posted 06 December 2010 - 10:57 PM

MetalMan said:

Whats the difference in performance between the Budget build and the Standard build, for the UK market? For GW2 and other upcoming games, is it really worth the extra £300ish? My current computer is broken, and my laptop wouldn't run GW2 easily, so i'm hoping to save some money and get one of the builds by around September 2011.
The graphics capability jump from a 5750 to a 470 is huge.  The question is going to be if it is necessary.  At 1920x1080 a 5750 will almost max the latest WoW client, which I am guessing will be pretty close to where GW2 ends up.  WoW is designed to work on lower end machines and has lower requirements than most MMOs, similar to GW.  Going up a smaller step (like to a 460 instead of a 470) may well max GW2 for substantially less.  By next fall, recommendations are sure to change.  Hopefully we have official specs so our guesses about maxxing out GW2 will be more accurate.

Edited by dhatcher1, 06 December 2010 - 11:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users