Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

How rare will dye drops be after the big patch?


  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Castaa

Castaa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 07 April 2014 - 06:23 PM

Since they are making dye unlocks account wide, is there any word on how much rarer will unidentified dyes  become?

To me it seems reasonable that dyes will drop at around 1/5th the rate since there are about 5 characters (by default) per account.

Edited by Castaa, 07 April 2014 - 06:26 PM.


#2 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Location:Washington, DC
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:10 PM

I was under the assumption that they won't be dropping at all.

#3 Castaa

Castaa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

Sorry.  I reread the post about it. You are correct.

Unidentified Dye Drop Rate

With dyes becoming account unlocks, the demand for dye will decrease and unidentified dyes will no longer drop as loot but will still be available from the Mystic Forge and select in-game rewards.

Both specific colors of dye and unidentified dyes will still be tradable and available on the Trading Post, and hue-specific dyes can still be crafted. The process for identifying unidentified dyes will remain the same.

#4 davadude

davadude

    Seraph Guardian

  • News Correspondents
  • 1363 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:40 PM

Yep, just to confirm, the chance that dyes drop is now 0%.  You can get them from finishing personal story missions, trading post, crafting, and the incoming edit to the Champion reward boxes.

EDIT:  Mentioned edit.

Edited by davadude, 07 April 2014 - 07:40 PM.

Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

#5 Desild

Desild

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Location:New Eden
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[DKAL]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:59 PM

I'm pretty sure that once the Feature Pack comes along, the market will be flooded by cheap unidentified dyes. Best you make your collection when that happens.

Plus, you would have to be crazy to actually use unidentified RNG dyes to get your collection.

#6 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1266 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LiES]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:38 PM

View PostDesild, on 07 April 2014 - 07:59 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that once the Feature Pack comes along, the market will be flooded by cheap unidentified dyes.

Will unidentified dyes that people get from having the same thing unlocked across characters be account-bound or open to the market?

#7 Castaa

Castaa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 07 April 2014 - 10:53 PM

View Postdavadude, on 07 April 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

Yep, just to confirm, the chance that dyes drop is now 0%.  You can get them from finishing personal story missions, trading post, crafting, and the incoming edit to the Champion reward boxes.

EDIT:  Mentioned edit.

Oh really, no chance at all now?  When did this go into effect?

#8 davadude

davadude

    Seraph Guardian

  • News Correspondents
  • 1363 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:35 AM

View PostCastaa, on 07 April 2014 - 10:53 PM, said:

Oh really, no chance at all now?  When did this go into effect?

I was talking from a future point of view, now being the patch on April 15th.  ;)
Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

#9 Minion

Minion

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 759 posts
  • Location:moi preciouss council house
  • Guild Tag:[Fäp]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:50 AM

Note that this is just Anet's way of keeping the playerbase poorer. Dye drops were like getting an ecto in GW; 30s as of late. That's like getting a t6 material. Now that's never happening again.

Also, this is anecdotal evidence, but it's been suggested by some of my contacts with max luck, that UNID dyes dropped a LOT. Magic Find was working it's mysterious magic to push Dyes to the top of the luck queue, and perhaps this is what Anet dislike. I really hate account-bound items. When you get an item, you aren't generating money; you're given an item that can be exchanged; it has the opposite effect. When you bind them to a character or account, that item becomes utterly worthless to you and everyone else.

It's just not a MMO when you can't freely trade. The trade system is so bad in GW2, and they're making it worse...

#10 Sephrye

Sephrye

    Fahrar Cub

  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:29 AM

It's because they want people to have the cash shop become the main way to get dyes,
the account wide thing is just a convenient excuse to take them out of the drop rate.

That being said, I actually like having dyes account-wide,
having them not drop anymore, though, not so much,
and it's going to be hardest on new players.

It's similar with stones/cash shop, regular stones being worth only 3=1, and also needing 3 charges to transmute, beefing up the price on how many you need to buy;
although all charges might be same for levels 1-80 (keyword is might, not sure about that), so maybe that's worth it at max level in that sense.

Edited by Sephrye, 08 April 2014 - 06:40 AM.


#11 pumpkin pie

pumpkin pie

    Obnoxious Font Tag Abuser

  • Site Contributors
  • 4913 posts
  • Location:ArenaNet's Pantry
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[AARM]
  • Server:Tarnished Coast

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

open all your unidentified dyes!,  is my advise,

because ArenaNet will give you one unidentified for every duplicates you have << assuming this is correct, you will have 2 chances of opening a rare dye with one unidentified, anyway. if that is true, i think i just made the dye prices go up :P

I am also under the impression that the dye drop rates are higher since they announced the change. been getting lots of dyes drop even in WvW.

#12 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Location:Washington, DC
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

View PostSephrye, on 08 April 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

It's because they want people to have the cash shop become the main way to get dyes,
the account wide thing is just a convenient excuse to take them out of the drop rate.

That being said, I actually like having dyes account-wide,
having them not drop anymore, though, not so much,
and it's going to be hardest on new players.

It's similar with stones/cash shop, regular stones being worth only 3=1, and also needing 3 charges to transmute, beefing up the price on how many you need to buy;
although all charges might be same for levels 1-80 (keyword is might, not sure about that), so maybe that's worth it at max level in that sense.

Don't forget that Chef can craft unidentified dyes ... and very cheaply.

Edited by Phineas Poe, 08 April 2014 - 11:52 AM.


#13 Desild

Desild

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Location:New Eden
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[DKAL]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 08 April 2014 - 11:59 AM

View PostPhineas Poe, on 08 April 2014 - 11:52 AM, said:

Don't forget that Chef can craft unidentified dyes ... and very cheaply.

I remember with Coriander Seeds were 25 silver each, mostly because you needed them to craft Gray Dyes.

So I guess we will see an increase in material prices for dyes in the future, soon after the dust settles. Cheap you said?

Edit: Where the heck did I get that silly 25 silver is a guess as good as any. Oh well!

Edited by Desild, 08 April 2014 - 04:32 PM.


#14 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Location:Washington, DC
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:44 PM

Coriander Seeds are going for 3.62 silver right now, and have been around there for most of the game. There was never a time they were 25 silver each. They maxed out around 5 silver a piece in 2012. And if concerned with making gold you can still turn a profit making them at current prices.

But yes you're right to suggest that they will go up in price. I've invested a bit myself. But it's not like you have to buy this stuff off the TP. You can farm all the materials yourself. Unidentified dyes are going to shift from an RNG market to a craft market, which makes it much more stable and adds more value to the Chef profession (and harvesting nodes).

It's a good move in my book, and kind of follows the M.O. of making every drop/material valuable in GW2.

Edited by Phineas Poe, 08 April 2014 - 12:53 PM.


#15 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:02 PM

View PostSephrye, on 08 April 2014 - 06:29 AM, said:

...and it's going to be hardest on new players.

You are royally screwed as a new player with this.

#16 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:29 PM

View PostPhineas Poe, on 08 April 2014 - 12:44 PM, said:

It's a good move in my book, and kind of follows the M.O. of making every drop/material valuable in GW2.

Explain where this is already.

#17 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8118 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:44 PM

I predict the price of dye will (eventually) drop like a rock.  Eventually, everyone will have every dye.

Then the only demand will be for Bifrost.  (Hmmm, that alone could keep prices stable.  Not sure).

So far, unidentified dye seems to be around 40 silver on the TP, correct?

I think it will go lower on April 15, but who knows?  Are most people hoarding dyes or selling dyes right now?

Who knows how much dye is potentially there for sale?

Edited by Mordakai, 08 April 2014 - 03:51 PM.


#18 Karuro

Karuro

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 942 posts
  • Location:the Netherlands
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 08 April 2014 - 04:14 PM

View PostShayne Hawke, on 07 April 2014 - 08:38 PM, said:

Will unidentified dyes that people get from having the same thing unlocked across characters be account-bound or open to the market?
Dunno.
But there are already account bound ones ingame (From PvP), so I won't be surprised if they end up like those.

#19 Mordakai

Mordakai

    Mordakai7

  • Community Contributors
  • 8118 posts
  • Guild Tag:[GSCH]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

Question:

Is it better to open dyes now, apply dups to account to get more unidentified dye?

Or keep unidentified dye in case the price goes up?

Edited by Mordakai, 08 April 2014 - 05:48 PM.


#20 Desild

Desild

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Location:New Eden
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[DKAL]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:09 PM

View PostMordakai, on 08 April 2014 - 05:43 PM, said:

Question:

Is it better to open dyes now, apply dups to account to get more unidentified dye?

Or keep unidentified dye in case the price goes up?

You should sell the unidentified dyes. If you open them however, it would be best to sell them now, since even the most common dyes go for at least 20 silver. If you score a Rare Dye you can more than break even for the unidentified dye cost.

The market is going to flood with unidentified dyes once the patch comes along. If they happen to be accountbound, as someone else suggested, then the market will be flooded by dyes. Period. And then their price will plummet.

#21 Castaa

Castaa

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 282 posts
  • Location:San Francisco
  • Guild Tag:[Dark]
  • Server:Fort Aspenwood

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:55 AM

The awarded unidentified dyes could be made account bound.  I wouldn't be surprised at all if this is the case.

I purchased a lot of unid'ed dyes. It seems obvious this change was made to make dyes more of a gem store purchase than before.  I also think unid'ed dyes are going to be awarded very rarely after the patch.

Edited by Castaa, 09 April 2014 - 08:01 AM.


#22 Salviati

Salviati

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 7 posts
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 09 April 2014 - 09:23 AM

Quick question.

Will it be better to buy a celestial & abyss dye now, or will identified dye prices stay the same more or less after April 15 patch.

Been holding out for more than a year now, hoping one will drop for me, but it seems I'm not that lucky

#23 davadude

davadude

    Seraph Guardian

  • News Correspondents
  • 1363 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 09 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

View PostSalviati, on 09 April 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

Will it be better to buy a celestial & abyss dye now, or will identified dye prices stay the same more or less after April 15 patch.

I'm afraid to have to say that we don't know, but due to an incoming increased rarity, I'd encourage buying it now.
Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

#24 Krazzar

Krazzar

    Legend of the Norn

  • Members
  • 7988 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 09 April 2014 - 04:55 PM

View PostSalviati, on 09 April 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

Quick question.

Will it be better to buy a celestial & abyss dye now, or will identified dye prices stay the same more or less after April 15 patch.

Been holding out for more than a year now, hoping one will drop for me, but it seems I'm not that lucky

Buying unident dyes now will give you two chances to get them if you already have that dye on another character.  Come April 15th you will be given an unident dye for each duplicate color you have.  If you want to buy the dye itself you should wait.  After the update unident dyes should drop in price because tons of people will have unident dyes awarded for duplicate colors.  So the choice is up to you, buy at a higher price now and get potentially two chances or wait for the price to go down after the update.

#25 Supa_SuoP12

Supa_SuoP12

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 90 posts
  • Location:Picking someone's pocket in Lions Arch
  • Profession:Thief
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostSalviati, on 09 April 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

Quick question.

Will it be better to buy a celestial & abyss dye now, or will identified dye prices stay the same more or less after April 15 patch.

Been holding out for more than a year now, hoping one will drop for me, but it seems I'm not that lucky
I would advise you to buy midnight ice instead of abyss. It is just as dark as abyss, and a lot cheaper.

#26 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Location:Washington, DC
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 10 April 2014 - 04:42 AM

View PostKonzacelt, on 08 April 2014 - 03:29 PM, said:

Explain where this is already.

They took silk scrap, something people used to literally throw away, deleting it from their inventory, and they turned it into a crafting component that makes an ascended material worth 14 gold.

#27 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 10 April 2014 - 05:32 AM

View PostPhineas Poe, on 10 April 2014 - 04:42 AM, said:

They took silk scrap, something people used to literally throw away, deleting it from their inventory, and they turned it into a crafting component that makes an ascended material worth 14 gold.

That's an exception to the rule, not an M.O.  Most every random sigil, armor piece, and junk bit is...well...junk.  Sure you can salvage all that down to mats, but only a minority of mats are actually valuable in gold terms.  And only slightly more so in crafting needs unless you're talking about Ascended mats.  I'll admit it's gotten better recently, but that's like saying you're getting C's on your report card now instead of D's. <_<

#28 Miragee

Miragee

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 850 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:32 AM

I think it's a shame that they cut dyes out of herb/etc. nodes. Was one of the only things that gave a nice flair to gathering.

View Postdavadude, on 07 April 2014 - 07:40 PM, said:

[...]You can get them from finishing [...]

Somehow read that as "you can get them from fishing". lol

#29 Phineas Poe

Phineas Poe

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1188 posts
  • Location:Washington, DC
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[EG]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 13 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

View PostKonzacelt, on 10 April 2014 - 05:32 AM, said:

That's an exception to the rule, not an M.O.  Most every random sigil, armor piece, and junk bit is...well...junk.  Sure you can salvage all that down to mats, but only a minority of mats are actually valuable in gold terms.  And only slightly more so in crafting needs unless you're talking about Ascended mats.  I'll admit it's gotten better recently, but that's like saying you're getting C's on your report card now instead of D's. <_<

And, pray tell, what is one of the things they've announced doing to lesser-used sigils and runes for the feature patch?

Valuable doesn't just have to mean gold value. Blues and greens used to be completely worthless as drops. They gave you nothing of value what so ever. Now that you get Essence of Luck from them, there's reason to salvage them: to raise your Magic Find. And even though mithril is relatively inexpensive and plentiful, it's now something that can be used for mithrillium. It's not something you just needlessly dump on the ground anymore.

This objective has also been employed in game-wide content. Everything from world events to World vs. World in some way contributes to compiling ascended crafting materials. So not only are drops across the game more valuable, but doing content across the game is inherently more meaningful, even down to doing jumping puzzles and opening world chests. Pretty much everything that drops in the game as a level 80 in some way or another contributes to ascended crafting. The only stuff that doesn't are tier 1 and 2 materials.

The only reason it may not be valuable to you is if you're not concerned with crafting ascended gear. And if you're not, then you're probably just making a ton of gold off people like me in the first place.

Edited by Phineas Poe, 13 April 2014 - 01:27 PM.


#30 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 562 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

View PostPhineas Poe, on 13 April 2014 - 01:27 PM, said:

And, pray tell, what is one of the things they've announced doing to lesser-used sigils and runes for the feature patch?

Valuable doesn't just have to mean gold value. Blues and greens used to be completely worthless as drops. They gave you nothing of value what so ever. Now that you get Essence of Luck from them, there's reason to salvage them: to raise your Magic Find. And even though mithril is relatively inexpensive and plentiful, it's now something that can be used for mithrillium. It's not something you just needlessly dump on the ground anymore.

This objective has also been employed in game-wide content. Everything from world events to World vs. World in some way contributes to compiling ascended crafting materials. So not only are drops across the game more valuable, but doing content across the game is inherently more meaningful, even down to doing jumping puzzles and opening world chests. Pretty much everything that drops in the game as a level 80 in some way or another contributes to ascended crafting. The only stuff that doesn't are tier 1 and 2 materials.

The only reason it may not be valuable to you is if you're not concerned with crafting ascended gear. And if you're not, then you're probably just making a ton of gold off people like me in the first place.

Yeah...luck essences.  Those damn things aren't annoying at all. <sarcasm>  Magic find, on it's own, is a ridiculous concept in this game.  It's just one more in a long line of superficial progression mechanics that is entirely unneeded.  Another story though.

You're right, I'm not concerned with ascended gear.  But I already made that exception.  Speaking of, I have an entire bank tab filled with those 3 ascended mats and I'll have to start trashing them soon.  But I'm not exactly making bank on the other mats.  Instead of slowly losing gold over time, I'm slowly making gold over time.  Cross my fingers for 10g per week!

Happy days.

Edited by Konzacelt, 15 April 2014 - 01:05 PM.





0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users