• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

So my server successfully downed Tequatl today. It was the first time I personally had even attempted the revamped boss since returning to the game and it was AWESOME.

That single win was far more gratifying then any of the other facerolls back in the day.

It made me excited for future reworks and that got me thinking of how some of the other world bosses might be redesigned so that they're more fun or challenging.

So how what boss would you guys like changed and how?

For me, off the top of my head I'd love to see the Megadestroyer fight utilize the environment moreso than it actually does.

For example, and this could just be one phase of the fight:

-The Megadestroyer shields itself with a wall of lava at like 75% health or something

-2 predetermined players have to run over and pick up an Asuran laser beam (one each).

-The laser fires a cooling agent. It channels for one minute max and the player can't move while using it. Being attacked interrupts the channel.

-The two players fire the beam at the lava, cooling it.

-During this time, veteran destroyers amongst other trash spawn and need to be kited away from those players channeling the beam.

-The event UI changes to reflect the rate at which the lava is being cooled. When the bar fills, the lava becomes solid rock.

- At this time the entire group must break through the cooled rock in order to attack the Megadestroyer.

That could just be ONE phase or something. The idea is to make the already established time limit more pressing by requiring the use of channeled weaponry. The longer the laser fires the beam uninterrupted, the faster the lava cools.

Perhaps at the same time, the lava cooling mechanic can be used to keep the magma from enveloping the entire arena.
For example...

- At 50% health the Megadestroyer performs a massive ground stomp, stunning everyone in the vicinity.

- The stomp causes lava to burst out of 3 or 4 holes in the walls around the arena, causing hot magma to spew forth and slowly spread on the ground.

- players have to use the cooling agent to plug all four holes before the ground is covered in magma and everyone slowly burns to death.

- This will have a separate time limit from the actual boss fight itself. The boss time could be paused or something.

These are just some rough ideas I had.

So what other ideas do you guys have?

Edited by Calypso589, 19 August 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#2 Satenia

Satenia

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 205 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CULT]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 19 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

I'm somewhat confused by the opening of your post - your server successfully downed Tequatl? There is only the megaserver now. You attended the encounter the first time and found it gratifying, even though you basically did nothing but profit from the organization of experienced players handing you the loot on the silver platter?

Not meant to be a slight, just adding another perspective for what is about to follow:

View PostCalypso589, on 19 August 2014 - 06:44 AM, said:

So what other ideas do you guys have?

Leave them as they are. Here is why:

Currently, there are two kind of "extended" boss-encounters:

1. Claw of Jormag, several phases with an unique mechanism, no particular organization required, proper dps-phases helpful to speed up the already more than over-long encounter. All in all, boring and not very rewarding. But should it be more rewarding when half the people are semi-afk anyway and it can still successfully be completed?

2. Tequatl/Wurm, again the kind of unique mechanism you seem to be looking for, organization and/or even third-party applications (TS) required (especially in the later case). Unless you luck into an organized megaserver-instance, you will want to be on the map well ahead of time, say 30-60 minutes or whenever the crowd doing the organization starts gathering and this is basically what the problem boils down to: In my opinion, this game absolutely does NOT need more 30-60 minutes + event-duration encounters. I have no desire to spend one third to half my game-time of an average weekday on a single boss-encounter for a bunch of crappy blues, greens and rares.

So, to anyone who keeps crying about how Shatterer is boring and how every world boss should be like Tequatl I can only say this: Be happy while you can still hop on a random megaserver basically at event-time, get a few auto-attacks in and get at least the daily rare and some dragonite. This is casual, this is keeping the flow of the game up, this leaves you time to enjoy other encounters as well...

As a final note, I'm not against harder boss encounters as such, just don't put them in the open-world. Instead, do instances that can be triggered on demand. That way, all the ahead-of-event camping and organization can be greatly reduced.

#3 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

View PostSatenia, on 19 August 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

I'm somewhat confused by the opening of your post - your server successfully downed Tequatl? There is only the megaserver now. You attended the encounter the first time and found it gratifying, even though you basically did nothing but profit from the organization of experienced players handing you the loot on the silver platter?

Not meant to be a slight, just adding another perspective for what is about to follow:

Leave them as they are. Here is why:

Currently, there are two kind of "extended" boss-encounters:

1. Claw of Jormag, several phases with an unique mechanism, no particular organization required, proper dps-phases helpful to speed up the already more than over-long encounter. All in all, boring and not very rewarding. But should it be more rewarding when half the people are semi-afk anyway and it can still successfully be completed?

2. Tequatl/Wurm, again the kind of unique mechanism you seem to be looking for, organization and/or even third-party applications (TS) required (especially in the later case). Unless you luck into an organized megaserver-instance, you will want to be on the map well ahead of time, say 30-60 minutes or whenever the crowd doing the organization starts gathering and this is basically what the problem boils down to: In my opinion, this game absolutely does NOT need more 30-60 minutes + event-duration encounters. I have no desire to spend one third to half my game-time of an average weekday on a single boss-encounter for a bunch of crappy blues, greens and rares.

So, to anyone who keeps crying about how Shatterer is boring and how every world boss should be like Tequatl I can only say this: Be happy while you can still hop on a random megaserver basically at event-time, get a few auto-attacks in and get at least the daily rare and some dragonite. This is casual, this is keeping the flow of the game up, this leaves you time to enjoy other encounters as well...

As a final note, I'm not against harder boss encounters as such, just don't put them in the open-world. Instead, do instances that can be triggered on demand. That way, all the ahead-of-event camping and organization can be greatly reduced.

Wow......ok.

I said server as a force of habit.

As for profiting off the efforts of more experienced players and being handed loot..........no.

Not having participated in the fight before doesnt mean I didnt know EXACTLY whàt was going on. To be clear, I was part of the team defending the back line so the turrets could remove stacks of hardened scales unintterrupted, breaking off intermittenly to defend the mega laser when needed.  

My main being a support guardian I had a fantastic time keeping encroaching enemies in one spot with my greatsword "5" and keeping them off the turrets with my staff and hammer respectively.
I earned the win just as everyone else did and I don't overly appreciate your alternate perspective given it's irrelevancy to the topic of discussion Ive created.

Having said that I onvite you to answer again under the pretext that these bosses meet your preferred criteria.

#4 chefwaffle

chefwaffle

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 04:59 AM

They need to get rid of the megaservers first before changing the bosses.

#5 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 06:24 AM

View Postchefwaffle, on 22 August 2014 - 04:59 AM, said:

They need to get rid of the megaservers first before changing the bosses.

Why?

#6 ilr

ilr

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2726 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 12:07 AM

Revert Tequatl.

It's not a "skill check" ... it's a "beat the clock" gimmick with 6 people spamming the same button sequence on a static turret. It's also a gear check  (everyone wear Soldier's and be a warrior thief ele mes, or GTFO  ... no necs engi or ranger pets allowed)

#7 I post stuff

I post stuff

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

View Postilr, on 04 September 2014 - 12:07 AM, said:

Revert Tequatl.

It's not a "skill check" ... it's a "beat the clock" gimmick with 6 people spamming the same button sequence on a static turret. It's also a gear check  (everyone wear Soldier's and be a warrior thief ele mes, or GTFO  ... no necs engi or ranger pets allowed)
Completely wrong.

#8 Rapthorne

Rapthorne

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:10 PM

the lower ones need more challenge. I'd particularly change shatterer so that you must kill each of it's legs, to stop people just piling on the rock and smashing it's one closest leg to kill it

#9 Keepy

Keepy

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 04 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

The only change i would do is on Jormag you know Goliath the champion? well is a champion so hard to kill and so annoying and it gives no loot. I would add a champion loot box thats all.

I forgot to say in the event "The battle of Wychmine Swamp" (before Jungle worm) you kill 3 champions again no champion boxes.

Edited by Keepy, 05 September 2014 - 01:31 AM.

#10 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 01:54 PM

View PostKeepy, on 04 September 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

The only change i would do is on Jormag you know Goliath the champion? well is a champion so hard to kill and so annoying and it gives no loot. I would add a champion loot box thats all.

I forgot to say in the event "The battle of Wychmine Swamp" (before Jungle worm) you kill 3 champions again no champion boxes.

The guaranteed to spawn champs during jormag dont drop loot on purpose so as to prevent farming and thus taking away from the fight.

The 3 champs that spawn prior to the great jungle wurm DO drop boxes, though not every time. Sometimes youll get an heirloom seed pouch.

#11 Calypso589

Calypso589

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:15 PM

Revert Tequatl.

Utterly AND completely wrong

#12 davadude

davadude

Seraph Guardian

• News Correspondents
  • 1374 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 07 September 2014 - 03:59 PM

Revert Tequatl.

For lack of a better way of saying it... LOL.

1) It's certainly not a "beat the clock" gimmick.  A good team with organized groups and good communication can beat the thing with more than enough time on the clock.

2) A zone currently supports close to 250/300 people per shard.  There are a total of 12 useful turrets.

3) Soldiers' required?  Thief/Ele/Mes/CQC only?  Oh lawd have mercy.  For starters, Thief/Ele/Mes/Warrior are the most playered professions.  Nercoes and Engineers are the best turret buddies/defenders possible, with their huge pool of deployable help.  Prevents the upscaled bosses from getting to the turrets.  The gear thing is also wrong... i've never seen anybody check or change gear for Tequatl.  He's easy to beat with good communication and some people who don't faceroll over their keyboard.
Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users