Jump to content

  • Curse Sites
Help
- - - - -

2nd Birthday gifts


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Kuskah

Kuskah

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:13 AM

.. are as follows:

1x Experience Scroll - Boosts character to level 20
1x Birthday Booster - 24-hour 100% boost to karma, magic find, WvW rank, experience and gold from kills
1x Skill point scroll - grants 5 skill points
1x Birthday Blaster - toy weapon with skills to fire 1(skill #1) or 3 (skill #2) cakes (unlimited ammount apparently) that grant
  • +40 to all attributes
  • +10% Karma
  • +15% Magic Find
  • +15% experience from kills
  • for 10 minutes
They can be picked up by anybody, just like Engineer's Med Kit drops.

You also get title "Veteran".

It's okay I guess, but honestly, how many level 20's does ANet think we want...

Edited by Kuskah, 25 August 2014 - 10:35 AM.


#2 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Location:(づ。*◕__◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧・。*。✧ Magic!
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

Not my picture but picture of the birthday blaster

Posted Image

#3 FrogKnight87

FrogKnight87

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 747 posts
  • Location:Québec, Canada

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:29 AM

Anet disappoints once again :(

#4 davadude

davadude

    Seraph Guardian

  • News Correspondents
  • 1397 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 25 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

This is an awesome birthday gift.  Seriously, free MF/Karma/Gold banners forever, in the form of those cakes?  Makes up for the rest of the lackluster package.
Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

#5 Cube

Cube

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 565 posts
  • Location:A Web of Lies
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

I guess it's OK. It's just the same really, except for a gun I will never use. So I am not really disappointed nor impressed.

#6 Miragee

Miragee

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 880 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

So the data-mining about the lvl 60 scroll was wrong or it will come in the shop soon.

Is that toy weapon unlimited?

//new lvl 20 scrolls don't stack with old ones...

Edited by Miragee, 25 August 2014 - 08:23 AM.


#7 Travis Touchdown

Travis Touchdown

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 347 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[FFS]
  • Server:Piken Square

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Wow, I'm quite happy with the birthday blaster buffs, got something to keep in my HoM portal stone inventory space now that they made it an almost completely obsolete area with the wardrobe system. I'm glad they realised that giving the same mini for every character's birthday was a silly and boring idea, though to be honest, if they're refusing to use the GW1 birthday mini system solely as a means to distinguish the two games then they're shooting themselves in the foot, because it was great fun. Also, enough of the experience scrolls already!

#8 Satenia

Satenia

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CULT]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

View Postdavadude, on 25 August 2014 - 07:35 AM, said:

This is an awesome birthday gift.  Seriously, free MF/Karma/Gold banners forever, in the form of those cakes?  Makes up for the rest of the lackluster package.

Not really, as it takes up your nourishment/food slot. It also cannot overwrite previously consumed food, so you have to sit these out before you can apply another birthday boost.

I can see how this is handy for farming world bosses or champ trains, but given the above limitations as well as the thing being soulbound, it's somewhat impractical in its usage.

As for the other stuff... for some reason the lvl 20 scroll doesn't stack with previously rewarded lvl 20 scrolls, why? :(

All in all, a bit of a disappointment... I was hoping for something that would boost new chars beyond the lvl 20...

#9 davadude

davadude

    Seraph Guardian

  • News Correspondents
  • 1397 posts
  • Location:The Netherlands
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • Guild Tag:[Team]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:41 AM

View PostSatenia, on 25 August 2014 - 08:23 AM, said:

Not really, as it takes up your nourishment/food slot. It also cannot overwrite previously consumed food, so you have to sit these out before you can apply another birthday boost.

Huww?  I can stack omnomnomberry food on top of it.  :huh:
Davadude - Guru Village Idiot

#10 Karuro

Karuro

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 942 posts
  • Location:the Netherlands
  • Server:Aurora Glade

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

The blaster's cool, but getting yet another lvl 20 scroll I won't use is.. Bleh.

#11 Alex Dimitri

Alex Dimitri

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1203 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:15 AM

Mediocre at best, gun can be used for farming runs i guess that`s kind of cool.....
I really expected Anet to step up in the end this should be reward for being faithful to them for 2 years now !

#12 Pariah

Pariah

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 526 posts
  • Location:Finland
  • Profession:Engineer
  • Guild Tag:[BoS]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:28 AM

What's the title received for second birthday? as the first one was "Loyal"

#13 Kuskah

Kuskah

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

View PostPariah, on 25 August 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

What's the title received for second birthday? as the first one was "Loyal"

"Gullible"

JK. It's "Veteran". (updated the OP)

Edited by Kuskah, 25 August 2014 - 10:35 AM.


#14 I post stuff

I post stuff

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

lvl20 scroll is nice, can't have enough of those.

Birthsday booster is quite nice too. Tuck it into storage for when something like pav pops up.

Skill point scroll... Seriously, do they think their players are idiots or something? I have thousands of skill points stockpiled, so I don't need a scroll that gives 5.

The gun is nice.

Overall not too shabby.

#15 Kuskah

Kuskah

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 297 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 10:42 AM

View PostI post stuff, on 25 August 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

lvl20 scroll is nice, can't have enough of those.

What do you do with them? :mellow:

#16 Satenia

Satenia

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[CULT]
  • Server:Desolation

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:18 PM

View Postdavadude, on 25 August 2014 - 09:41 AM, said:

Huww?  I can stack omnomnomberry food on top of it.  :huh:

I don't see how you can? :D

#17 Nick Dragonsbane

Nick Dragonsbane

    Pale Tree Seedling

  • New Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

I thought skill points were a joke too until I figured out how to easily turn them into gold...

View PostI post stuff, on 25 August 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

lvl20 scroll is nice, can't have enough of those.

Birthsday booster is quite nice too. Tuck it into storage for when something like pav pops up.

Skill point scroll... Seriously, do they think their players are idiots or something? I have thousands of skill points stockpiled, so I don't need a scroll that gives 5.

The gun is nice.

Overall not too shabby.


#18 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1277 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LiES]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

It seems the blaster can be used in activities.  Haven't figured out any way for that to be particularly useful yet.

#19 Calypso589

Calypso589

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 08:03 PM

The birthday blaster elevates the package from Sh*t to crappy.

Let's not kid ourselves about it. It's pretty bad. lol

#20 Occultus

Occultus

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

I'd be happy with just an email saying "Happy Birthday.  Seeing as it's now two years in we thought it was about time we fixed the broken camera system".

#21 Dom

Dom

    Asuran Acolyte

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 09:50 PM

View PostCalypso589, on 25 August 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

The birthday blaster elevates the package from Sh*t to crappy.

Let's not kid ourselves about it. It's pretty bad. lol

Would you prefer another Queen Jennah mini?

Don't kid yourself, it's pretty cool and actually worth using.

I still have birthday boosters and level 20 scrolls from last year. I wish they had something else as opposed to those but I'm glad it wasn't another mini.

#22 typographie

typographie

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2028 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LAW]

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:45 AM

I quite like the birthday cake gun. Its more interesting to me and infinitely more practical than a mini, particularly if said mini had been my sixth Queen Jennah.

The worst part of this for me is that the level 20 Experience Scroll doesn't seem to stack with my previous level 20 Experience Scrolls. I'm guessing that would have been overpowered. :huh:

#23 Azure Skye

Azure Skye

    Golem Rider

  • Members
  • 2099 posts
  • Location:(づ。*◕__◕。)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧・。*。✧ Magic!
  • Profession:Mesmer
  • Guild Tag:[CUTE]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 26 August 2014 - 03:49 AM

We are getting multiple gun for each character or one per account?

#24 FrogKnight87

FrogKnight87

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 747 posts
  • Location:Québec, Canada

Posted 26 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

View PostAzure Skye, on 26 August 2014 - 03:49 AM, said:

We are getting multiple gun for each character or one per account?

Once per character, but it's soulbound

#25 Calypso589

Calypso589

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 02:02 PM

View PostDom, on 25 August 2014 - 09:50 PM, said:



Would you prefer another Queen Jennah mini?

Don't kid yourself, it's pretty cool and actually worth using.

I still have birthday boosters and level 20 scrolls from last year. I wish they had something else as opposed to those but I'm glad it wasn't another mini.

I would prefer something ELSE.
The Bday blaster would be far better if it stacked on top of other food but it doesnt.
So the reality of it is thats its only really used before a world boss where cakes sre just fired whereever. Lol


#26 Konzacelt

Konzacelt

    Sylvari Specialist

  • Members
  • 569 posts
  • Location:a prairie under a clear, blue sky
  • Guild Tag:[PD]
  • Server:Sanctum of Rall

Posted 26 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

It's just a zerg-friendly buff mechanic.  I'd rather have something else too.  Examples:
  • random mini
  • chest with random chance for something good(like a precursor)
  • choice of dye pack, rare skin, or ascended mats
It's not that hard really.

Although what I hate most about it is the actual gun skin.  Why do they keep throwing these silly cartoon skins our way?  Enough with the Disney razzle dazzle already!

#27 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 497 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:19 PM

View PostI post stuff, on 25 August 2014 - 10:39 AM, said:

lvl20 scroll is nice, can't have enough of those.
Please enlighten me as to why.  I have all of last year's scrolls in a stack and now this year's scrolls in another stack (since they apparently won't combine) eating up precious inventory space.  I already have 8 level 80 toons (one of each class), and I can't figure out what the heck to use these for.

Edited by kalendraf, 29 August 2014 - 08:28 PM.


#28 zwei2stein

zwei2stein

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1020 posts
  • Location:Yurop
  • Guild Tag:[RA]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 02 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

View Postkalendraf, on 29 August 2014 - 04:19 PM, said:

Please enlighten me as to why.  I have all of last year's scrolls in a stack and now this year's scrolls in another stack (since they apparently won't combine) eating up precious inventory space.  I already have 8 level 80 toons (one of each class), and I can't figure out what the heck to use these for.

You can get:

* Instant L20s to park at jumping puzzles to farm silver doubloons
* Instant L20 to park at home instance to gather nodes and upgrade quartz
* Instant L20s for some very fast and easy bl key farm
* Instant L20s for their skillpoints which count for monthly skill point achievements and daily skillpoint/level up achievements and which you can then use to upgrade some materials at mystic forge or upgrading siege or (if you do five quick skill challenges) account bound Augurs stones

Really, L20 scroll is very versatile to use if you are creating disposable characters.

I wish I had few stacks of them - I could definitelly use them!

<3 L20 Scrolls

#29 kalendraf

kalendraf

    Vanguard Scout

  • Members
  • 497 posts
  • Location:Iowa, USA
  • Guild Tag:[CV]
  • Server:Henge of Denravi

Posted 02 September 2014 - 03:38 PM

View Postzwei2stein, on 02 September 2014 - 10:00 AM, said:

You can get:

* Instant L20s to park at jumping puzzles to farm silver doubloons
* Instant L20 to park at home instance to gather nodes and upgrade quartz
* Instant L20s for some very fast and easy bl key farm
* Instant L20s for their skillpoints which count for monthly skill point achievements and daily skillpoint/level up achievements and which you can then use to upgrade some materials at mystic forge or upgrading siege or (if you do five quick skill challenges) account bound Augurs stones

Really, L20 scroll is very versatile to use if you are creating disposable characters.

I wish I had few stacks of them - I could definitelly use them!

<3 L20 Scrolls
LOL!  You don't need a level 20 for most of these things.

> * Instant L20s to park at jumping puzzles to farm silver doubloons
This is the only one you listed that can actually benefit from the instant 20 levels.  However, I'm not that interested in doing this.  I've already got 1 level 20ish character parked at a JP, and I am not about to buy extra toon slots to do more of this.

> * Instant L20 to park at home instance to gather nodes and upgrade quartz
Sorry, but you do not need a level 20 for this.  Also, mining the nodes in the home instance is account bound.  I can easily hit them once per day with one of my existing toons

> * Instant L20s for some very fast and easy bl key farm
At the current time, it's simple enough to key farm with a starting toon.  There is no need to level them to 20 to do this.  I can quickly complete a key run w/o dying or even getting downed with a new toon that tends to wind up around 5th level by the end of the key run.  In the future this may change, but then again key farming as a whole may not even be viable with the upcoming changes.

> * Instant L20s for their skillpoints which count for monthly skill point achievements and daily skillpoint/level up achievements and which you can then use to upgrade some materials at mystic forge or upgrading siege or (if you do five quick skill challenges) account bound Augurs stones
I don't need more skill points.  I've already got about 2 stacks of the single point skill point scrolls, and I end up finding more of them faster than I ever need to use them (like polishing off a daily).  I always gain more than enough skill points for the monthly by just playing the game normally (events, guild missions, killing stuff, harvesting, etc).  My main character has over 1000 sp's banked up as well, so it's not like I'm lacking for these.  At this point, I also have no need for upgrading mats, upgrading siege or making more augur stones.

Thus, it looks like the only potential use for me with these scrolls would be to insta-level new permanent toons for the purpose of parking at JPs to farm doubloons.  IMHO, it's just not worth the cost in gems to buy new toon slots to do that.  After the next patch goes into effect, these scrolls might provide a way to farm black lion keys, but until all the updates for PS are shown, that's still just a guess at this point.

Edited by kalendraf, 02 September 2014 - 03:40 PM.


#30 zwei2stein

zwei2stein

    Seraph Guardian

  • Members
  • 1020 posts
  • Location:Yurop
  • Guild Tag:[RA]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 02 September 2014 - 07:31 PM

Sigh

View Postkalendraf, on 02 September 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

LOL!  You don't need a level 20 for most of these things.

> * Instant L20s to park at jumping puzzles to farm silver doubloons
This is the only one you listed that can actually benefit from the instant 20 levels.  However, I'm not that interested in doing this.  I've already got 1 level 20ish character parked at a JP, and I am not about to buy extra toon slots to do more of this.
Fair enough

View Postkalendraf, on 02 September 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

> * Instant L20 to park at home instance to gather nodes and upgrade quartz
Sorry, but you do not need a level 20 for this.  Also, mining the nodes in the home instance is account bound.  I can easily hit them once per day with one of my existing toons

Yes, you do need L20: Upgrading quartz is only available for L10+ characters

Steel havesting tools require level 20 and you need them to take advantage of advanced gathering nodes.

Having character right at extrance of instance gives some benefits (less travelling, no inconvenient park location for your L80)

View Postkalendraf, on 02 September 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

> * Instant L20s for some very fast and easy bl key farm
At the current time, it's simple enough to key farm with a starting toon.  There is no need to level them to 20 to do this.  I can quickly complete a key run w/o dying or even getting downed with a new toon that tends to wind up around 5th level by the end of the key run.  In the future this may change, but then again key farming as a whole may not even be viable with the upcoming changes.
You can however do this along with other stuff (like next section).

Efficient farms provide lower difficulty with greater yields.

View Postkalendraf, on 02 September 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

> * Instant L20s for their skillpoints which count for monthly skill point achievements and daily skillpoint/level up achievements and which you can then use to upgrade some materials at mystic forge or upgrading siege or (if you do five quick skill challenges) account bound Augurs stones
I don't need more skill points.  I've already got about 2 stacks of the single point skill point scrolls, and I end up finding more of them faster than I ever need to use them (like polishing off a daily).  I always gain more than enough skill points for the monthly by just playing the game normally (events, guild missions, killing stuff, harvesting, etc).  My main character has over 1000 sp's banked up as well, so it's not like I'm lacking for these.  At this point, I also have no need for upgrading mats, upgrading siege or making more augur stones.
No, just no.

Here, I can echo "LOL!"

If you are drowning in skill points and have "no need for..." any of their sinks or cash conversion, you automatically loose right to complain about abundance of them - you are hoarding stuff you are not going to use. Why? Just blow them up on some forged stuff for nice profit.

Besides, not everyone is farming champions or farming experience to experience such overflow.

View Postkalendraf, on 02 September 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

Thus, it looks like the only potential use for me with these scrolls would be to insta-level new permanent toons for the purpose of parking at JPs to farm doubloons.  IMHO, it's just not worth the cost in gems to buy new toon slots to do that.  After the next patch goes into effect, these scrolls might provide a way to farm black lion keys, but until all the updates for PS are shown, that's still just a guess at this point.

Why LOL then? Yes, Experience Scrolls are usefull - too bad you are not taking advantage of them. But other people are.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users