• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:18 AM

It does a lot of damage and doesn't have a stupid sword leap to get you killed. What's not to like?

The Build:
http://gw2skills.net...gvPAQvAhAWsGA-e

Affix: Sinister (Easier: Rabid)
Weapons: Axe + Torch, Torch (so that you can have a weapon swap to trigger Quick Draw)
Sigils: Malice (Cheaper: Smoldering), Earth
Runes: Nightmare x4 + Trapper x2 (Easier: Balthazar)
Consumables: Rare Veggie PIzza (or cheaper equivalent), Skale Venom (Lazier: Tuning Crystals)

Utility choices:
- Sun Spirit (best DPS)
- Flame Trap (second-best DPS)
- Frost Spirit (for the zerkers in your party, doesn't do much for you yourself)
- Signet of the Hunt (so you're not fat and slow)
- Viper's Nest (if you really want to minmax personal DPS. Doesn't make a huge difference)

Trait choices:
- Spotter vs. Hidden Barbs (Hidden Barbs is worth about +8% personal DPS or so, while Spotter will provide a 2-5% DPS boost to the entire party depending on their build)
- Empathic Bond vs. Poison Master (Poison Master is very slightly more DPS but it doesn't make a huge difference. I prefer the extra condi cleanse.)
- Wilderness Survival vs. Nature Magic (DPS adds up to about the same, take the one you like better)

Use Quick Draw with Bonfire for a massive AOE burn stack every 10 seconds, and throw Splitblades at point-blank so all the axes hit. Pretty self-explanatory.

But I heard zerk was still meta!
You heard wrong. At least, not for rangers. While zerk has the advantage of not having to tick over time, rangers put on big, short-duration stacks anyway (the longest bleed you will get is Splitblade at 10 seconds), and more importantly, your damage is super consistent even if you're in a disorganized pug group. All you really need is might, vuln and the proper gear and consumables for close to max damage (Banner of Strength and Deep Strikes makes a small difference but not enough to significantly impact ranger DPS). To even remotely compete, a zerker ranger needs to have every possible ranger and warrior buff, might/vuln/fury maxed, the matching potions and sigils, and 100% uptime on Scholar damage buff. Not to mention you have the incredibly annoying sword leap to fight against all the time too.

See also: https://forum-en.gui...-and-zerk-sucks for a run-down on why condition builds are so strong now in general.

I'm still not convinced because I'm a moron/can't do math/in denial!

https://www.youtube....h?v=4RXrzZOXx3U
https://www.youtube....h?v=-A8fot5LSYc
https://www.youtube....h?v=SkXOyaE9AgA

Edited by GuanglaiKangyi, 07 August 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#2 Dayne

Dayne

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:53 PM

What do you estimate the damage difference between sinister and rabid armor to be?

Also would gives weapons be useful?

Something like givers weapons, rabid armor, sinister ascended trinkets.

#3 Naglifar

Naglifar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Server:Sorrow’s Furnace

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:33 AM

Looking at how different weapon/sigil combinations effects bonfire's 9 stacks of burning~

sinister weapons with malice/earth:
18,040 damage over 5.25 sec = 3436 dps on burn

giver weapons with malice/earth:
16, 345 damage over 5.74 sec = 2842 dps on burn

giver weapons with malice/smoldering:
22,883 damage over 7 sec = 3269 dps on burn

sinister weapons with malice/smoldering:
21,648 Damage over 6.25 sec = 3464 dps on burn

Sacrificing a slight amount of condition damage (sinister) for the 20% increase condition duration of givers weapons does seem to be the way to go...

Edited by Naglifar, 22 July 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#4 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

It's not a "slight" amount, it's the entire condition damage and power stat for both weapons. That's about 250 cdmg and 180 power. In exchange you boost conidtion duration by 20%, but it's already at +75%, so the marginal duration boost is actually only 11%.

The cdmg loss basically offsets the duration boost so you just end up ticking for the same total damage over a longer period of time and you give up a bunch of power for it. It will boil down to being the barest tiniest bit more overall damage (like 1%) on a single target but weaker against multiple targets and less damage per tick.

Also Rabid is fine, you lose like 5% overall DPS vs Sinister. Just make sure you have a power set on hand for condition-immune bosses.

Edited by GuanglaiKangyi, 22 July 2015 - 11:45 PM.

#5 Dakan

Dakan

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 12:03 PM

I have some old rabid gear on my ranger so I will test this build with that this weekend. Seems interesting and if it works as you described it could become my standard ranger build.

But I heard zerk was still meta!
You heard wrong. At least, not for rangers.

Could you elaborate a bit here? Which other classes do you think are stronger when specced into condition?

#6 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 02:22 PM

Engineers and mesmers are also superior in condi builds vs. Sinister (although zerk engies can almost catch up with enough party buffs). Necros also do okay although their condi builds are pretty heavily dependent on situation. Revenant will probably also be primarily a Sinister-focused class as well.

#7 Naglifar

Naglifar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

Engineers and mesmers are also superior in condi builds vs. Sinister (although zerk engies can almost catch up with enough party buffs). Necros also do okay although their condi builds are pretty heavily dependent on situation. Revenant will probably also be primarily a Sinister-focused class as well.

Can you show an example of how you build a condi mesmer? Seems like there is a ton of burn potential with torch or the pistol/bleed route.

#8 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 02:42 PM

Can you show an example of how you build a condi mesmer? Seems like there is a ton of burn potential with torch or the pistol/bleed route.

The one thing needed to make condi mesmer viable is bugged so it's entirely hypothetical, but you'd basically be spamming sword clones and pistoleros.

#9 Naglifar

Naglifar

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

The one thing needed to make condi mesmer viable is bugged so it's entirely hypothetical, but you'd basically be spamming sword clones and pistoleros.

Yeah I stopped playing mesmer after sword 2 lost invul and chaos armor got ICD'd. Whats bugged now?

Speaking on the topic of new ranger metas has anyone tried a 5 stack ranger Natures Vengeance Party? I think with 1 bonfire/condi and 4 zerk sword/warhorn/warhorn Quickdrawls-- a ranger party could theoretically hit max might, long duration protection, regen, stab, vigor and possibly perma reflection with striders defense(not entirely sure how reliably this skill stacks with multiple people attacking). Plus 5 pets with max might/prot/stab would prob hit rather hard. I suppose the spirit CD would be the only crutch of the build.

It wouldnt be faster than Icebow Meta, but probably easier to faceroll with.

edit: I should say the Natures Vengeance says spirits provides boons to allies 'around them', they actually provide pulsing boons in a 1000 area radius.

Edited by Naglifar, 26 July 2015 - 08:55 AM.

#10 GuanglaiKangyi

GuanglaiKangyi

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2246 posts

Posted 07 August 2015 - 12:04 AM

Just a quick update, Wilderness Survival can be replaced with Nature Magic if you like the traits in that line better. The extra might from Fortifying Bond coupled with extra boon duration basically offsets the DPS loss from losing Ambidexterity entirely. Your pet will get +50% boon duration as well so the Jungle Stalker and Red Moa will give considerably better buffs.

#11 Xob Enip

Xob Enip

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 2 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Server:Kaineng

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

Would appreciate seeing Definition of Sinister weapons are - was able to find it and for those that don't know your lingo (Condition Damage/Power/Precision) - Found the definition but no information on How to get em - Crafting or Drop?

Just got back into playing after the Trait System Change and my Ranger build isn't as strong as I'd wanted - How's the build stand up against hordes of Undead (personal story - Whispers line with Recon - After Claw Island) as i've been killed ever time on the first group. Any build suggestions appreciated.

Rare Lv 80 (Yellow) Rabid Armor
Need to change runes - will go with the OP Build Suggestions
Qestion on Weapons - Any Bow or is that 2x Axe/Torch for the swap

Edited by Xob Enip, 21 August 2015 - 04:23 PM.

#12 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]

Posted 22 August 2015 - 04:39 AM

Would appreciate seeing Definition of Sinister weapons are - was able to find it and for those that don't know your lingo (Condition Damage/Power/Precision) - Found the definition but no information on How to get em - Crafting or Drop?

Sinister gear is crafted (and account-bound on creation), but the materials and schematics to make them are dropped from chests in the Silverwastes. The recipes for the Sinister insignia and inscription (both exotic and ascended rarity) are purchased from the Bandit Crest vendor.

Once you've got that taken care of, Sinister gear is actually relatively cheap. Whereas each piece of Berserker's gear needs 5 Powerful Blood, each Sinister piece requires only a single Charged Ambrite. There's a daily cooldown on those (for the Charged Quartz) but less money.

Edited by typographie, 22 August 2015 - 04:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users