9 replies to this topic

#1 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:26 AM

My friend just linked me this. Today when I spoke with him, I came to know that he got perma banned on forums for telling that he did not have much to do in GW2 these days except for doing daily and logging off.

http://imgur.com/YuTzCsp

We both play different games now but, its really funny to see that ANET is trying suppress concerns about lack of content from its player base. Thought it may be helpful for others to know. Just avoid official forums as ANET interacts mostly on reddit.

Attached Files

Edited by Zhaitan, 13 March 2016 - 02:27 AM.

#2 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Yarr]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:39 AM

My friend just linked me this. Today when I spoke with him, I came to know that he got perma banned on forums for telling that he did not have much to do in GW2 these days except for doing daily and logging off.

http://imgur.com/YuTzCsp

We both play different games now but, its really funny to see that ANET is trying suppress concerns about lack of content from its player base. Thought it may be helpful for others to know. Just avoid official forums as ANET interacts mostly on reddit.

Same thing happened to me a long time ago; the moderators over on those forums are kind of.....over zealous, to put it mildly. Although in my case I do find it odd my ban happened about the same time the suggestions sub-forum vanished (never to return and locked behind a broken archive link), and then some time later the expansion gets announced with several of its most prominent new features being things I came up with in that same sub-forum. Just saying.

#3 Kattar

Kattar

SHODAN

• Administrators
  • 2401 posts
  • Server:Sea of Sorrows

Posted 13 March 2016 - 04:56 PM

Your friend received one infraction point. THEN he was banned. I agree that the moderators on the official forum are a little overzealous, but your friend wouldn't have been perma'd for that one point.

No need for pitchforks. There's just more to this story than you know or are telling us.

You are fooling yourself, user. Nothing here is what it seems. ANet is not the plucky hero, Guru is not an evil empire, and this is not the grand arena.

Questions about moderation? For the love of Balthazar ask them here!

#4 Zhaitan

Zhaitan

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 384 posts
  • Server:Jade Quarry

Posted 17 March 2016 - 12:23 AM

Your friend received one infraction point. THEN he was banned. I agree that the moderators on the official forum are a little overzealous, but your friend wouldn't have been perma'd for that one point.

No need for pitchforks. There's just more to this story than you know or are telling us.

Quite possible there's more to this story. I'd not bother to probe. I was just sharing the screenie that I got. For me, the infraction, one point or 100, for a post like that indicates ANET is desperate to quell discontent of its playerbase by removing posts and the posters. Lack of content in GW2 has been an issue for a long time. It is also the reason why I moved off to play FFXIV and now BDO.

Pre-HOT, I used to do exactly what my friend stated in the post. Log on, do daily, log off. Now, I don't bother to log on. My friend, however, continued doing dailies. Sole reason I posted this on Guru because of my poor habit of using guru from GW1 days.

#5 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:31 PM

For me, the infraction, one point or 100, for a post like that indicates ANET is desperate to quell discontent of its playerbase by removing posts and the posters.

Is the heading & quotation in the screenshot the entirety of the post?

If so, I'm going to be contrary and say that such a post contains no discussion value whatsoever, and that that's probably much more important to the moderators than whether or not it's a positive or negative opinion of the game. It serves no point other than possibly making the poster feel better for having expressed an opinion of frustration. It's just a simple sentence declaring the poster's opinion, it leaves no room for much more than "Ok?"/"Congrats?"/"can I haz ur stuff?" sort of replies. Posts with no intention of sparking useful input are infraction magnets.

#6 Feathermoore

Feathermoore

Underdog

• Super Moderators
  • 4007 posts
  • Profession:Necromancer
  • Guild Tag:[GURU]
  • Server:Crystal Desert

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:22 PM

Is the heading & quotation in the screenshot the entirety of the post?

If so, I'm going to be contrary and say that such a post contains no discussion value whatsoever, and that that's probably much more important to the moderators than whether or not it's a positive or negative opinion of the game. It serves no point other than possibly making the poster feel better for having expressed an opinion of frustration. It's just a simple sentence declaring the poster's opinion, it leaves no room for much more than "Ok?"/"Congrats?"/"can I haz ur stuff?" sort of replies. Posts with no intention of sparking useful input are infraction magnets.

Agreed. That thread would be closed on most forums I know, not due to the opinion, but because nothing of value can come from the thread.

It doesn't contribute anything. I don't think the official forums have an explicit rule about contributing to a discussion (they are a typical forum not a true discussion board) and so the moderators use the closest rule they have to actually give the infraction. Heck, the post, as it is, can also be infracted as flamebait.

Little Mabel won't be able to be here it's our worst fear. She's busy working on her garden that she's growing up in space.

Why hello there forumite. Would you like me to review some moderation you did not agree with? Never fear! PM is here! Want to be a better poster? Check on this link! And this one!

#7 RandolfRa

RandolfRa

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 05:57 PM

Who isn't banned from those forums by now? I got my ban years ago. Still, I doubt that your friend got banned for just one shitpost. At least I needed to get several infractions (they are really easy to get) and temp bans before they actually gave me a perma ban.

Edited by RandolfRa, 17 March 2016 - 06:16 PM.

#8 Kovalenko

Kovalenko

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 43 posts
  • Profession:Warrior
  • Guild Tag:[WB]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 29 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

I know the last post on this thread was in March, but I can't help but chime in after I joined this website a couple years ago for similar reasons...

I find the people here far more reasonable and open to actual discussion about the game, its issues and even its genuinely good content. Even though we don't always agree, you're not going to find ban/mute-happy mods that remove anything that offends them personally. There's also a lot of double standards on the official forums, with fanboys shitposting a ton and calling them out on it (even in a polite manner) gets you an infraction. That being said, some of us are here because of infractions (that latter example I gave was how I ended up here). The other time was for making a "racist" joke that was actually referencing canon racism in the game (i.e. calling Sylvari saladheads, I called humans the master race), but I still consider myself an exile and I like my new home on gw2guru despite not visiting here very often since I stopped playing GW2 almost every day.

doesn't mean we're in the wild west on gw2guru, but there's definitely more freedom for thought here

#9 Shayne Hawke

Shayne Hawke

Seraph Guardian

• Members
  • 1334 posts
  • Guild Tag:[LiES]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 29 December 2016 - 09:47 PM

This isn't ANet's hugbox, either for when they feeling like doing work (official forums) or when they don't (reddit).  Unfortunately, because of the way ANet runs their studio, develops their game, and enforces their rules, they have cultivated a base of players that aren't interested in stepping away from those hugboxes and having their opinions picked apart or challenged.  Setting those players aside, what you have left are players yelling into a brick wall and not realizing it, those who realize they're yelling into a wall but continue to do it anyways, and those who finally gave up a life of yelling at walls.

#10 Age

Vanguard Scout

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:29 PM

It looks like you have to settle this through an e mail.I rarely use the official forums and it would be nice of they had separate Guild Wars forums or use this one.I did mention it.

Edited by Age, 06 January 2017 - 11:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users