• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 xen111

xen111

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 11:32 PM

Been playing the free game for some days now.

I still don't know why I am playing, what is the point of it. The point seems to be playing without any goals.

For some reason most people on my server (Desolation) seem to be French and I don't speak much french.

GW2 reminds me of Rift, because there is a Guardian like class in Rift as well.

The number of people I have actually talked to is like less than 5. Let's say just one or two. What a difference with WoW. Nobody ever uses /say. There are millions of people running around and nobody talks. There are also hardly any emotes.

People you whisper usually don't respond. One person instantly blocked me after me asking a question.

The few that do speak are then French and I can't say anything to them.

People don't group, each goes their own way and if you trail someone it feels like you're stalking them.

ArenaNet says that this is what an MMO is supposed to be. And I guess it's a great game if you have a real friend. But I've been playing on my own. There is no map chat either. I can't believe most people would have free accounts. I feel uneasy even adding someone or grouping with someone.

I restarted my character after I realized you could have spaces in names. I now have 90% of Queensdale completed (human). I am level 16 or so. The storyline was really stupid (infiltrating a bandit cave as a bandit after they've already seen your face). Extremely white knight in shining armor. Not my thing, but well. I threw away most of the boons I've been given, don't want all that cheater stuff. The auction house feels like that of D3.

I can't ask anyone anything, so I had to look on the wiki to find information. The crafting thing was very unintuitive: it cost me about a day to realize or discover that I needed to use the discover feature on recipes I already knew had to be there. I kept searching for clues but I hadn't seen the discover pane. It took the wiki to find out. And a leveling guide ;-).

I can't even whisper people that are on the same map as me (but probably in a different version).

I'm an armorsmith and artisan ;-). I wonder if the goddess I've chosen has any impact on the story.

I became an artisan because it felt pointless to leave all those trees standing ;-).

Now that I'm level 15 it's become very hard to die. A bit like WoW. But maybe it's because I get scaled to a lower level but my health seems to remain the same.

I get so tired of this though. I'd rather play on an empty map if I can't talk to people anyway.

I really have no cash to spare at the moment. Already 900 in debt ;-). And I wonder if I'll keep this thing or wipe everything and find something else.

Regards, Xen.

#2 Arkham Creed

Arkham Creed

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2646 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • Guild Tag:[Yarr]
  • Server:Borlis Pass

Posted 15 March 2016 - 02:13 AM

No idea why you're having language issues, but if you're playing on a French server that is probably why nobody is talking to you; who wants to respond to a whisper in a language you don't know? Beyond that...sounds like A; you need to move on to another map since you're too high level for the starting one. And B; find a group or a guild or something. These maps are hardly empty and I honestly have no clue what is happening here. Might need to wipe your character and move to another sever....or check to see what region your account is on. But again due to mega server I don't understand what is happening to you. Support ticket time, perhaps.

Now that said there IS map chat, maybe you just need to enable it in your chat tab. And yeah; most people just use it instead of local. But free players can't speak in chat (for spam account reasons), but you can still SEE it and I always run across people speaking in local inside cities.

I'm sorry you're having issues, but they sound very strange to me and I haven't seen anything like that myself. The only thing I can think is MAYBE the starting zones (again; you're level 15, move on already) are emptying out as all the vets move on to the expansion and most other players are in higher level zones that are more fun and more rewarding.

PS: If you don't like the storyline it's time to change to a different race. The first chunk of your story is based on your race/background. So try playing something else. Either go with a different background or go big and change to another race. Some stories are more drama, some are more comedy, others are just goofy (the first part of my norn ranger's story dealt with her getting drunk and stealing a tank from the charr, then forgetting where she left it. And I know one of the charr ones deals with working in weapon R&D for your warband to develop anti-ghost firearms).

Edited by Arkham Creed, 15 March 2016 - 02:15 AM.

#3 Mystika

Mystika

Asuran Acolyte

• Members
  • 150 posts
  • Guild Tag:[RLR]
  • Server:Blackgate

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:29 PM

If I were you I would switch servers. You can switch for free by just deleting the characters on your account. Since you are only level 16, it is no biggie. Make sure you sell or put everything you want to keep in the bank first and try to find an English speaking server. I agree with the previous poster. If you do not like the personal story, try a different race or/and creation choices. There are plenty of active, friendly players in this game. You just need to find a good server.

#4 shortncurly

shortncurly

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 8 posts
  • Profession:Ranger
  • IGN:Shortncurlie
  • Guild Tag:[Moon]
  • Server:Dragonbrand

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:24 PM

I agree with the above, try changing servers as this makes a huge difference.
The server I play on is NA Dragonbrand and its always busy, once you get to level 35 and get to the Lion's Arch city your whole game play / life will change, it's always PACKED.
Human are a popular race and their starting area is good fun too, stick with that if you like it.
Having jot played on the European servers I don't know your experience, however the Americans are very friendly and open.
I'm an Australian, playing from China and almost always feel included and welcome. I do have a high ping and some latency issues but what game doesn't have them right? My ping Ave is 300 and it's only problems for dungeons and some WvW.
If you do change to an NA server (anyone) let me know here and I would be more than willing to hang out, do some events, jumping puzzles, shoot and slash stuff anytime.

#5 xen111

xen111

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:39 AM

Maybe you have a point with creation choices, but it is not like you can predict that. Maybe the annoyance of the story is due to being "charming" and having that healing goddess, I don't know.

I hate the guy I "am" but I chose human due to being "driven from their homeland" however that seems a load of bull since they have these huge cities.

Humans are basically a copy of the humans in World of Warcraft..... Also "their gods have withdrawn" feels a bit like my life :P.

And what "charm" comes down to seems basically to take a soft approach and lose out.

I get that the three choices you have to say something are basically those 3 options?

And they change your interaction style???.

This guy I am is basically this chivalric white knight. Even in a cave with bandits, he says to a woman "don't worry, I'll get you out" and then leaves without her : P.

He's basically this galliant guy who is always nice. And who vows to protect and who is basically everyone's favourite son in law :P.

Like what the hell, is that because I'm a guardian? : P. He has basically no individuality : p.

Sickens me a bit. I keep swearing at him : p.

About the server: well it would be easier on North-American but also not. On Queensdale nobody talks because there is no reason to (in the sense of not needing to group). In Kessex I've found that people are more talkative due to the number of bosses and all, and I got into a guild that just invited me. That takes care of a large part of the chat. Also I just tell people to add me as a friend to get around the free-account-limits.

Sometimes I'm like "talking hands and feet" with a French person but that's also fun I suppose.

It's not a French server. Someone said on this forum: "Desolation is still the best english-speaking server for all of Europe (...)".

There are Spanish people and Germans and Dutch people and also just a lot of French from what I've found. There appear a lot more that don't speak good English than what I'm used to on European servers (of another game).

The only thing I'm worried about at this point is the choice of goddess/personality.

But I'm level 32 now and would need to restart again.... Then play to level 10 again to see any of it.

I don't know, I suppose I could give it a try with a new character before I make such a radical choice.

#6 xen111

xen111

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:02 AM

The cinematics are actually the same for every profession and background you choose, I mean sure there'll be a different story but the guy is going to have the same personality in every one of them.

A mesmer says the same thing as a guardian in the first cinematic.

That means throughout the entire game all of the dialogue is going to be the same everywhere, barring selecting a different sex.

At least for this race, but I'd have to travel a lot to check out the other races.

Basically there is only one human male......

And it's that prick that I've come to know ;-) : p.

Well so the story could be different but it's the personality I hate. Also I wonder what the profession-specific differences to story could be (the item you choose to wear) and how they can have a different story for every possible combination - that's impossible.

I don't think charm/dignity/ferocity would make any difference. The stories are going to be the same for every profession I think so that visionary thing (of the guardian) or a mask (of the mesmer) is not going to make a difference. At least not at level 10. Background might make a difference, and lost opportunity, well I don't know. Obviously what you would call "home" would be different?

But I have no clue. Why don't they tell you? :). Edit:

Yup with a different background the guy is the same person saying the same things. There is just one human male personality throughout all of the dialogue really.

Edited by xen111, 18 March 2016 - 03:29 AM.

#7 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]

Posted 18 March 2016 - 02:10 PM

The way GW2's server system works is that PvE maps are populated by drawing players from all of the servers in your territory. When you venture out into Queensdale, the people you see are not necessarily all from Desolation. Picking a server mostly boils down to whose WvW team you want to play on. You could give it a shot, but it may make much difference.

It's a very valid criticism that the open nature of the game makes it ironically unlikely players will actually talk to one another. They don't need to communicate to work together, so they often don't. I would recommend finding a guild of other players who are low level. As for the language barrier, that could partially be the hours you're playing, I'm not sure. Desolation is not officially a French language server.

I won't try to defend the story… it's simplistic, low-impact and morally black and white. This isn't an excuse, but this sort of storytelling is fairly common in MMOs in general, though. I will say the lore (as in the world and the backstory) are far more interesting than the actual narrative of the personal story missions. I'd rather it wasn't that way, but if you want good writing you're probably going to need to look at single-player RPGs instead.

Edited by typographie, 18 March 2016 - 02:11 PM.

#8 VyperNk

VyperNk

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 4 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • IGN:VyperNk
  • Server:Darkhaven

Posted 22 March 2016 - 02:51 AM

You could search for a guild in a forum... that's what I did when I was playing another MMO, and that got me into some pretty cool guilds which carried on to other games.

I'm looking for a new one to play GW 2 ... That being said, I'm scouting the forums to find a guild that fits my "profile" and availabilty before pm'ing someone.
In my opinion that's a good way to find some people to play with.

#9 Catty Blanch

Catty Blanch

Pale Tree Seedling

• New Members
  • 1 posts
  • Profession:Elementalist
  • IGN:Catty Blanch
  • Guild:Field Your Intellect
  • Guild Tag:[FYI]
  • Server:Ring of Fire

Posted 30 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

I'm having a great time on Ring Of Fire server (EU). Found people easily, you guys should pick the most populated servers not low pop if it matters to you. :/
It's so weird that the french players didn't go to their own servers though.

I still don't know why I am playing, what is the point of it. The point seems to be playing without any goals

....Lvling... getting better gear... mastering your class, completing all the important parts of a map, joining a friendly guild and doing group activities with them, achieving higher rank in pvp, earning then exchanging ig gold for cash shop currency so you can get cosmetics, beating the tougher pve events around or raids.

without any goals

No offence but what...... What the... O_o

The game tells you where you can go, and what you can do, the map if you zoom out on it, will even tell you the lvl ranges of places.
Check the wiki or google for game tips or youtube.

This is what I used:

https://www.reddit.c...wiki/newplayers
(personally, I didn't check all the links)

#10 JCDenton2k

JCDenton2k

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Server:Gate of Madness

Posted 10 September 2016 - 06:11 PM

If you open your World Map and zoom all the way in, it should show you any 'explorer' spyglass icons. Those are scouts. Go talk to them and they will tell you what to do, where to go, and in what order.

Remember you don't need to always depend on stupid glowy yellow exclamation marks just to tell you where to go. We have yellow hearts instead (and way better than otherwise).

#11 xen111

xen111

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 12:12 PM

I'm having a great time on Ring Of Fire server (EU). Found people easily, you guys should pick the most populated servers not low pop if it matters to you.

You know maybe you shouldn't assume so much. Desolation is now a completely full realm, I cannot even rejoin.

....Lvling... getting better gear... mastering your class, completing all the important parts of a map, joining a friendly guild and doing group activities with them, achieving higher rank in pvp, earning then exchanging ig gold for cash shop currency so you can get cosmetics, beating the tougher pve events around or raids.

That's like saying the goal of Diablo II is to defeat bosses.

Or that the goal of Secret of Mana is to complete the game.

If it seems pointless, then it seems pointless. There doesn't seem to be a compelling goal for which I, as my character, strives.

Basically, you're just spending time, but that's about it ;-).

Or at least that is how I would have responded to this message earlier.

"I created a game whose goal is to explore all the parts of the map."

Oh okay... Good luck with that.

Seems like a good life purpose for any character. A life well spent.

I think it has to do with the loose nature of the game and the fact that it is so hard to make ties with other people.

I mean of course you make friends after a while especially with all the smaller world events in the second zone.

But because you cannot actually trade with people in a normal way, there is hardly any way to interact,

It really boils down to the idea of a "person" again. A person is defined as a legal entity who is capable of engaging in trade, basically, to engage in agreements, contractual agreements.

A something that can hold property and to trade property. The game kinda thwarts that.

One of the best parts of Diablo II for example was shoving items around.

Diablo III annihilated that and falls into the same category of "pointless play" as I said above some time ago about this game.

What is the point of Diablo III? There is no point to Diablo III.

At least this game has the interesting part called talent trees and all the different skills for different weapons that requires you to research, which I find interesting and fun.

No offence but what...... What the... O_o

Well if time wasting is your goal in life, good for you.

The game tells you where you can go, and what you can do, the map if you zoom out on it, will even tell you the lvl ranges of places.

That is not the same as purpose. I do not need a guide on how to spend time.

If you open your World Map and zoom all the way in, it should show you any 'explorer' spyglass icons. Those are scouts. Go talk to them and they will tell you what to do, where to go, and in what order.

Remember you don't need to always depend on stupid glowy yellow exclamation marks just to tell you where to go. We have yellow hearts instead (and way better than otherwise).

If you have no sense of the experience of the person you are talking to, maybe not give such mundane advice you know.

"This is a keyboard. If you press buttons it will do something."

Yes, good try, next ;-).

#12 xen111

xen111

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:42 AM

I restarted playing but I forgot to press the people I was talking to to add me as a friend. She probably thought I could keep on talking to her.

Now, being in different 'maps' and no way to end up in the same one, there is no way to talk to her anymore.

But this means the 2nd half of Queensdale has been a very lonely thing.

No one ever talks anymore.

I suppose I have to restart to try again... I just can't deal with this lonelyness.

#13 xen111

xen111

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 06:54 AM

It's this business model that ruins it for me.

Trying to prevent me from talking to people in order to force me to buy the game, but I can't buy the game, I can only buy the expansion, which makes no sense.

If the game hadn't been free to play, I would just have bought the game at the start and be done with it.

But I cannot buy the game.

I can only buy the expansion.

Why would I need the ♥♥♥♥ing expansion at level 15 ffs.

#14 xen111

xen111

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 September 2017 - 07:15 AM

So there goes my character again.

Thank you Guild Wars.

Another 20 hours wasted.

#15 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 504 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Bone]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:48 AM

I am a bit confused - why is your char gone. Also weren't you in a guild? Doesn't that negate teh loneliness?

Anita Sarkeesian Hate and Heroism

Moderation related questions, or any query just contact me here

(I won’t do your maths homework!)

#16 xen111

xen111

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 09:29 AM

I deleted my char because I can't cope with not talking to anyone all the time.

I was not in a guild this time. I did not play long enough to find one or to even see enough advertisements.

The person I was talking to at the start and during most of Queensdale until the big town in the southwest where you can trade etc was someone I met from the very start.

But then after I couldn't talk to her anymore even though we had been playing together and even talking for ages if you want to call it that, even if it was modestly, because she had not bothered to add me as a friend or might not have thought it to be important because she didn't know about the restrictions anyway.

And I didn't press her for it so the one person I had invested in was suddenly gone with no way to speak to her.

Meanwhile in the later part of Queensdale no one speaks to anyone because the area is too dispersed.

And I think people are eager to get to the next zone or something.

When I try again I will, if I try again, I will start out with a paid account I think.

Just so I won't be hit by these restrictions next time.

It's not so bad that you get hit by these restrictions at the start. But the fact that they get worse after you talk to someone is what does me in.

#17 Aero

Aero

Your Mum

• Moderators
  • 504 posts
  • Guild Tag:[Bone]
  • Server:Gandara

Posted 01 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Have you checked out the Guild Recruitment section here?

Anita Sarkeesian Hate and Heroism

Moderation related questions, or any query just contact me here

(I won’t do your maths homework!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users