• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[MM]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:32 AM

Hello folks,

I've been running numerous games with high graphics;
That are working fine, and others with lower requirements that are crashing my graphics card, with the famous alert on screen at the bottom "Nvidia graphics card has crashed and recovered successfully".

My rig is;
- Processor: Intel Core i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
- RAM: 16GB
- System type: 64-bit OS
- Windows 7 (They said it's the best for gaming, will get 10 though after formatting)
- Windows rating: 5.9
- GPU: GeForce GT 630

I am able to run GW2;
Between High and Ultra settings, engaging into huge zerg fights without lags and with normal to slightly decreased FPS. Since I'm a WvW commander, being in the frontline and engaging first causes more FPS drop than necros or eles at the back.

Lately, I got pissed by the following;
Surfing Facebook, a week ago, my nvidia graphics card crashed again. No games were opened, no programs, no advanced crap, just the damn facebook/Chrome and the graphics card, so called nvidia quality cards, crashed for no over usage or even slight usage at all.

Before crashing this happens;
A weird 3D-like model wit random colors and pointing figures appear to specific directions. For example if I look to the right side (in-game, as in MMO character) it doesn't show up. And sometimes it shows up on the whole screen and after a few seconds it crashes. Is this related to PhysX?

Here's an image of how it looks like;
In all games, it crashes in the same way: http://imgur.com/a/Uslny

To sum-up;
My graphics card crashed without having any program or game opened. Nothing but the screen was running.

What do you guys think the issue is?
- Overheating? Then why did it crash by simply using the screen.
- Outdated drivers? Even with updated drivers it crashed.
- Overclocking? Even when I don't overclock it crashed (same as first case).
- My PC is custom built. Would that affect something?

Next week, I'll take it to the tech-support, depending on the replies here I'll inform him about the issue I'm having - I have no problem formatting the soul out of the PC and getting all programs and OS again.

Thank you for your support in advance,
Regards,

Attached Files

#2 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

The large colorful shapes you're seeing are video artifacts. They are erroneously rendered polygons and it's a textbook sign of GPU instability. The cause of that instability can be a couple of things such excessive heat, an overclock that wasn't properly validated, or issues with your video driver installation, but failing all else it's usually a sign that the card is dead or dying.

You should find out if the card is still under warranty. E-mail the manufacturer's* support service, explain the issue and show them the pictures you've shown here. If you can tell them the card's idle and load temperatures, so much the better. I can't promise results of course, but this is exactly the kind of problem that the warranty/RMA system is meant for.

*That is, whoever built the card: Asus, MSI, EVGA, etc. Usually not Nvidia themselves unless it's a Nvidia-branded reference card.

It's not terribly surprising to see issues with desktop/web browser use in a card that's gotten to this point. Chrome today includes some GPU acceleration features to render certain page elements so it's using your GPU a little unless you've gone out of your way to disable that feature. And then there's the Windows 7 Aero appearance that's always using a minimal amount of the GPU's attention as well. I've definitely seen dying cards glitch out and crash on a freshly-booted Windows desktop before, it doesn't always take a game.

Edited by typographie, 08 July 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#3 Aviator The hunter

Aviator The hunter

Fahrar Cub

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Profession:Guardian
  • Guild Tag:[MM]
  • Server:Gunnar’s Hold

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:18 PM

Alright thank you,

Yes it's still under warranty, I'll contact the supplier tomorrow. Should I not try to format and re-install everything with windows 10? Or is it a clear sign that the GPU is dying? I only have this rig for less than 6 months is it possible that it is dying? Also I only overclocked 4 or 5 times and for less than 30 mins each time. I never messed with the electrical system too.

Updated:
Also, if it's dying, why it does affect games that have REMARKABLY less graphic needs and requirements than Guild Wars 2? I NEVER crashed on guild wars 2 due to graphic card. Archeage crashed numerous times, even though it has less graphic needs and my settings are on low (which are bad btw).

Edited by Aviator The hunter, 08 July 2016 - 10:56 PM.

#4 typographie

typographie

Golem Rider

• Members
  • 2240 posts
  • Guild Tag:[WOLF]

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:06 PM

Alright thank you,

Yes it's still under warranty, I'll contact the supplier tomorrow. Should I not try to format and re-install everything with windows 10? Or is it a clear sign that the GPU is dying? I only have this rig for less than 6 months is it possible that it is dying? Also I only overclocked 4 or 5 times and for less than 30 mins each time. I never messed with the electrical system too.

If you feel like trying a reformat, I think that's a great idea. If you do so and the issue persists with freshly-installed drivers and games, you'll have basically ruled out software as a cause.

It's unfortunate to have these issues with a new system, but it's not impossible. Sometimes products are defective, or mistakes are made in production. Maybe it was hurt in shipping, or zapped by static electricity or something.

Updated:
Also, if it's dying, why it does affect games that have REMARKABLY less graphic needs and requirements than Guild Wars 2? I NEVER crashed on guild wars 2 due to graphic card. Archeage crashed numerous times, even though it has less graphic needs and my settings are on low (which are bad btw).

Dying cards can be very, very unpredictable in how they behave. It's not as simple as a correlation between crashes and framerates or perceived intensity of the game's workload. Games put differing amounts of stress on each system component, and even each video card component. I don't know why Archeage encounters this issue and Guild Wars 2 specifically does not, but it's not necessarily unusual.

If the issues you're seeing were only happening in Archeage, my first thought would be that there might be problems with some of the game files and that you should either use Steam's "Verify Integrity of Game Cache" feature, or just reinstall. But it sounds like the card is crashing in a lot more situations than just that.

--

Edit:
I should also mention, a faulty or very insufficient power supply can sometimes cause this sort of behavior. A mid-range or high-end video card is usually the most power-hungry thing in the system by far, so it usually shows symptoms first when the PSU isn't providing steady, clean power to the system.
That said, I think that's unlikely here because the GT 630 is such a low-power card (probably lower than your CPU, actually). I think you'd be having whole system crashes/bluescreens in that case.

Edited by typographie, 12 July 2016 - 02:14 PM.

#5 Quaker

Quaker

Technician

• Technicians
  • 3519 posts
  • Guild Tag:[n/a]

Posted 12 July 2016 - 02:10 PM

The GT-630 is a very low-end card. The problems could be because it is faulty, or the driver needs to be updated, or certain games may be using certain graphics functions that are causing the card to overheat (or crash).

You should get your self a decent graphics card anyway. A new AMD RX 460 would be a start (depending upon your power supply.)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: help, nvidia, crash, gpu, cpu, computer, tech, assistance, support, gw2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users