Guild Wars 2 gets first major release of 2016
Arenanet has formally announced (through a press release) and released a blog post outlining their plans and vision for Guild Wars 2 in 2016, including the announcement of the first major update of 2016. The blog post can be found here.
Seasonal Game Updates
The first major game update launches on 26 January 2016. This update is the first in a new seasonal game feature update schedule that focuses on enhancing the existing game. Some highlights from this update:
- Gliding in Central Tyria - You can now glide in the heart of Tyria!
- Shatterer Redesign - The shatterer has new achievements, a new boss fight with gliders, new rewards including a unique back-item, and more.
- New Controls - New controls for the action camera, new options toggling NPC name display, and more.
- Event Rework - Events have been reworked behind the scenes to now provide rewards for boon applying, condition removal, and other support actions.
- World versus World Revamp - Forts and bases are no longer manual upgrades, but, just like in the Silverwastes, are now upgraded based on the amount of supply dolyaks that arrive.
- Fractals - Fractals of the mist will recieve many Quality of Life changes and reward updates.
- New Mist Champion - Tybalt Leftpaw is now a mist champion.
- Balance Update - The update will include a major balance update for all professions. You can read more on that here.
Arenanet has also outlined some of the changes and updates that are in store for Guild Wars 2 in the long run. A major development shift has occured, where instead of either working on live updates or on the expansion, the resources are now split among them.
- New Raid Wing - The next wing of the raid, Salvation's pass, will be released. The fate of the pact squad is still uncertain, continue the hunt for new rewards.
- Lunar New Year - Lunar New Year returns on 26 January 2016 and will run for two weeks. Get ready for fireworks and dragon ball!
- PvP league launch - On 23 February 2016, the next PvP league will launch. Changes have been made to scoring and matching based on feedback of the past season.
Beyond short term updates, Arenanet has revealed the following long term projects:
- World versus World - A huge overhaul is being planned to world versus world, which has been worked on for a year. This overhaul will go live later this year, and focuses on population balance, rewards, and more.
- Fractals of the Mists - A focus will be placed on fixing the currently broken or missing items from fractals of the mists, including missing collections and rewards. There will also be new fractals!
- Living Story Season 3 - The third season of the Living Story will go live in 2016, which focuses on the next direction. Which dragon will be focused on next?