I'd much rather pay a subscription for a good game than play a crappy one for 'free'.
It's been pretty clear for years now that GW2 was turned into a proving grounds for content and revenue milking systems staged to release in their real games like Wildstar.
Progression is completely messed up:
1. the game fails to provide you with a reason why it has 80 levels
2. by selling gold A.Net removed a game's system of progression and failed to provide us with an alternative
3. other tracks of progression were devaluated either though shitty balancing (karma, dungeon tokens) or cash shop items (rank)
0. Realistically, the combat does not have any degree of 'high skill floor'. Combat in Planetside 2, for example, has a relatively high skill floor (still nothing 'insanely high', I can't realistically see myself calling any MMO 'insanely high skill floor', mashing some buttons is no rocket science). And that is not because of the complexity of the combat itself, since aiming your gun at people and shooting is not hard. It's the metagame, situational awareness and advanced pattern recognition that make the combat complex and skillful, not mashing a couple of buttons in an obvious order, which is also chewed up for you all over the internet in case you did not manage to figure if out yourself.
1. The game fails to provide any reason for any sort of vertical progression whatsoever. There is zero sense of accomplishment in anything related to progression in gw2.
2. Selling gold is just one of the many flaws with the monetization system that drives anet to make lousy money-milking junk instead of actual content.
3. Based on what we actually see in game, those currencies were never designed to be full-fledged 'progression tracks' but rather time-sinks on the path to the endgame goals. Who would realistically expect people to get karma unless they went out of their way to farm it?
As far as class-related content like classes themselves, weapons and skills go, we have a major issue with balancing the existing ones already. Every class has at least one utility type that is broken (maybe except for warriors...oh well they also have some), several broken traits and a weapon or two with mixed identity. Basically 25 to 50% of the class system is not functioning correctly at the time, and adding more fresh new content will not solve this. Anet need to dedicate several times the resource and man hours they are doing now to balance, or we will have broken turrets/conjures/weapons forever.