I have been playing Guild Wars 2 since launch, my first class was a thief. On my roaming times in WvW I hardly met any engineers and if I did, it felt from my side that they were a bad class. Skip a few months later and I got curious about the class, were they really this bad? So I had to try one out and this is what came out.
My Engineer Overview
- Acces to many offensive/defensive utilties due to kits.
- Capable of placing many different conditions within a few seconds.
- Good survivability.
- Being able to stack many conditions in short amount of time, with a decent duration.
- When needed able to block for 5 seconds + 3 seconds ranged attacks.
- Lots of regen/healing power with short cooldown.
- When needed able to burst healing, with multiple blast finishers.
- Completely destroy thieves <3.
- Permanent Vigor/Swiftness.
- Decent toughness, able to survive most burst.
- Mesmers, but that might be just me.
- Not the best mobility, compared to other classes. (espcially when ganked by multiple players)
- No stunbreaker. (this is my personal preference to gain more mobility)
As an engineer you are able to do massive damage when your enemies are close and far away. We are not limited to 10 skills, thanks to kits. Each kit gives us 5 new skills, which all have their strengths and weaknesses, but thanks to 0,5 cooldown on kit switching we are able to constantly switch between kits to get the necessarily skills to take out our enemies.
Important info about conditions:
Lowers healing by 33%, good versus classes with a lot of healing and decent damage.
Confusion deals damage based on every skill use (auto attacks included) and dodges! With 5 stacks of confusion every skill/dodge(when traited, example evasive arcana) the enemy uses will deal them 755 damage.
1. Explosive shot: (156 damage, 2 3/4 seconds of bleeding per shot)
Fast way of stacking bleeding, especially in combination with the sigil of Earth (60% chance on critical to inflict bleeding) Decent 900 range, good to use when other skills are on cooldown or if you are being kited around.
2. Poison dart volley: (178 damage, 2 3/4 seconds of poison -33% heal effectiveness, 5 shots).
Decent attack speed, extra condition damage, good against classes that heal a lot.
3. Static shot: (178 damage, 4 1/4 seconds of blindess, 2 stacks of confusion, 4 bounces)
One of my favorite skills, decent range, ussually use it right after my pry bar, for a nice 7 stack of confusion.
Pro tip: Able to stack 4 stacks of confusion if there are 2 targets (with the bounces).
4. Magnetic shield: (create a magnetic field that reflects projectiles 3 seconds and can be released to push back foes)
(Second ability: Magnetic Inversion, 100 damage, knockback 300, blastfinisher)
One of our defensive abilities, best used when being shot by ranged weapons to reflect it back to opponent, one of my favorite skills to reflect is a kill shot (Make sure they haven't used signet of might, which makes their next 3 shots unblockable, you can still dodge them!).
Pro tip: When a thief uses shadow refuge, walk inside it and double click the shield to knock him out of the refuge and to give him a stealth debuff!
Pro tip 2: Use it as a blast finisher after you double clicked your healing turret for an extra area heal.
5. Static shield: (Block 2 seconds, unless you get hit in melee range which stuns the enemy for 2 seconds and stops your blocking)
(Second ability: Throw Shield, Damage 201 Daze 1 second, Projectile Combo, Throw your shield and daze your foe on the way out and back)
One of the best defensive skills we have in my opion, I use this mainly to stun players that get too close or interupt revives with the second ability. If you get in too much trouble you can use it for full blocking duration just make sure you don't get in melee range.
Pro tip: As soon as you cast this skill, cancel it with escape immeadly! This will still use the skill, but you are able to use your other abilities from the pistol. So you will be blocking + able to deal damage at the same time and if you are good with your timing you can throw your shield to daze your enemies after the 2 second block. Easy way to keep count of the duration, it allows you to cast 3 auto attacks before you have to throw the shield!
Pro tip 2: A thief is about to attack you from stealth? Predict his movements and activate the shield when you think he is about to attack you, if he does attack you he will get stunned. Then switch to grenade kit and nuke him with everything you have, if he doesn't reveal himself, but you did see the block appear he is still stunned but invisible.. do the same thing use your grenades on the location where you saw the block!
(Ability 1: Healing turret, Healing 2,520, Regen 3 1/2 seconds 390)
(Ability 2: Cleansing Burst, Healing 2,520, Cures 2 conditions, Regen 6 seconds 780 heal, Combo field: Water)
Short cooldown heal with condition removal. If you are circling around an area in combat, click it twice so both abilities activate and pick it up right after, will give you a 15 second cooldown. If you need extra burst healing, double click the ability, use the f1 right after to explode for a blast finisher, which will give you an extra ~1200 heal in aoe.
Pro tip: I suggest practicing this next part.. you are able to get 3 blast finishers right after the second turret ability and it has to be done in 3 seconds which is a bonus of 3,6k healing on top of the normal heal from the turret.
Turret -> second ability -> Double magnetic shield -> f1 to explode turret -> elixer gun fourth skill. I hardly use the full combo since it makes me waste a shield, but in combat I would normally run it without the magnetic shield so Turret -> second ability -> f1 to explode turret -> elixer gun fourth skill , this allows you to get ~2,400 extra healing + the fourth skill from elixer will set some distance between you and your enemy.
Kits are what makes engi's so awesome, being able to have 3 extra skill bars without cooldowns is insane! My best suggestion here is take your time to read up on every ability, learn them and practise switching between kits to get the muscle memory.
I won't be going through each individual skill, but I will leave the basic info.
- Grenade kit is Strong long/close range damage.
- Slow projectiles easy to dodge the further the enemy is.
- Lots of conditions (Bleeding (16 3/4 seconds), Blindness (7s), Chill 2 3/4 seconds, Poison (7s)
- 1500 range, 3 grenades. Each have of the grenades has a chance to proc. the burning/bleeding from the traits on each crit, so use it when you are able.
- Grenade barrage f2 skill, awesome for bursting down close enemies or enemies hiding in refuge.
Pro tip: Use grenades when the enemies are near you for maximum damage and give them no chance to dodge your skills, chill is very effective to kite players around.
Pro tip 2: Bind the key "Look behind", when using this it will allow you to look behind yourself while still moving the same way. The reason why you want to do this is to throw grenades while running away from enemies so if they are stupid enough to chase you, you can put a lot of pressure on them or even kill them!
Pro tip 3: If you are not able to knock a thief out of refuge, use your grenades to deal massive aoe damage, make sure to start with the chill grenade to slow them so they will have a harder time to dodge the rest of your grenades.
Pro tip 4: When a player is downed use the poison grenade to slow their healing.
In the tool kit you will mostly use only 3 skills.
- Magnet, pull your enemy target to yourself with 1200 range
- Gear shield, Block attacks for 3 seconds!
- Pry Bar, 5 stacks of confusion (7s)
I ussually use the tool kit to initiate my fight, first Magnet, as soon as the target is near you use pry bar to put the confusion on your enemies, switch to pistol put another 2-4 stacks of confusion.
If you get in trouble use the shield to block attacks or use it offensively to get close to your enemy without taking damage.
Pro tip: You can use magnet to interupt enemy abilities or revives.
Optional third utility
The last normal utility is up to you.
I mainly use this for when I am roaming in WvW,
- Skill 1 Fast projectiles, good bleeding duration + weakness, you are able to stack these real fast.
- Skill 2 Decent cripple + swiftness on a ranged skill.. however if the target is too far it ussually misses for me.
- Skill 3 Poison and vulnerability, hits multiple times fast, good for removing blocks or attacking through ranged reflect skills.
- Skill 4 blast finisher + lots of mobility when used right.
- Skill 5 gives extra condi removal/regen.
Bomb kit is decent if you go with groups, small areas or spvp.
- More confusion!
- Nice cripple/root.
- Smoke field which blinds anyone who moves in it.. if you need that extra defense vs melee classes.
- F3 skill keeps enemies away from you or you can use it offensively to interupt, knockback enemies.
Pro tip: Gain area stealth by using blast finishers in the smoke field.
Pro tip 2: Want to make the enemy hate you? Use tool kit Big ol' bomb -> magnet -> drop confusion bomb -> use pry bar and watch your enemy with 10 stacks of confusion while being knockedback by your bomb.
Pro tip 3: Don't like being interupted while finishing off players? Use the smoke bomb to blind your enemies constantly so they can not interupt you when you finish them off.
The only stunbreaker I use. Hardly use it, mostly in spvp. Gives you full endurance when you use it, so 2 extra dodges + the tool belt skill is decent support aoe skill that revives friendlies.
Pro tip: Use the toolbelt skill on the floor when you are about to go down, to self revive.
Videos: (or watch me live daily on twitch.tv/sir_koroshi)
Engineer build guide:
Engi vs multiple #2
Engineer vs Warrior & Ranger
Thief? No problem
Kiting master plan 6
Kiting master plan 7
Kiting Master Plan 1
Engi vs multiple
Engi vs 2 glasscannon thieves
Kiting master Plan 2
Kiting Master Plan 3
Kiting Master Plan 5