Okay, so earlier I was skeptical of the usefulness of the Greatsword, so I have tried making a build revolving entirely around the strengths of this weapon:
Good damage at range.
Mirror Blade bounce.
Good rate of clone production.
Clones spawn near target.
Turns out I was wrong, Greatsword is amazing on the Mesmer.
Support through Boons on yourself + allies (with increased duration)
Control through Conditions on enemies (with increased duration)
High damage output from both yourself and phantasms
High survivability through mobility and snares.
High rate of clone production, augmenting survivability and damage potential.
Use your shatters situationally, create clones whenever you can, stay as far away from the enemy as possible. Kiting is key. When the enemy closes on you, either use Illusionary Wave, or swap to Staff and Chaos Storm/Phase Retreat. Play aggressively, but smart.
- Illusion of Vulnerability - Nice to have, not great but synergizes with Illusionary Wave (GS5).
- Dazzling - Another 'meh' trait. I spec 20 into Domination mainly for the majors, the Power boost, and the Condition Duration.
- Crippling Dissipation - One of the strongest traits a Mesmer can get. Amazing defensive trait. Synergizes with Deceptive Evasion, Greatsword clones (the clones spawn near the enemy, allowing you to get more benefit from the clone death), Greatsword Training (more clones) and the 20% Condition duration increase from Domination. Greatsword also has a respectable rate of clone production.
- Greatsword Training - Improves rate of clone production, more knockbacks, more damage. Synergizes with Crippling Dissipation, Debilitating Dissipation (more clones = more explosions), and to some extent Illusion of Vulnerability.
- Critical Infusion - Very useful, more dodge rolls is amazing. Multiple hits on Greatsword autoattack along with Mirror Blade means you will almost always have vigor. Synergizes with Spatial Surge, Mirror Blade.
- Sharper Images - Great for a high-precision Greatsword build. Clone attacks will have 3 chances to proc. Synergizes with Spatial Surge.
- Phantasmal Fury - Another great trait for Power/Precision builds. Synergizes with Sharper Images.
- Deceptive Evasion - One of my favorite traits in the game. Synergizes with Critical Infusion, Debilitating Dissipation, Crippling Dissipation.
- Metaphysical Rejuvenation - Very useful, is basically around +1300 HP in every battle if you regenerate the full 10 seconds. Synergizes with the 10% increased Boon duration from Chaos.
- Debilitating Dissipation - Awesome offensive and defensive trait. Gives Weakness, 3 stacks of Bleed, or Vulnerability on clone death. Synergizes with Deceptive Evasion, the Greatsword clone skills, Greatsword Training (more clones) and the 20% increased Condition duration from Domination.
- Illusionists Celerity - Amazing trait that nearly every Mesmer should pick up. Fits with the main themes of the build. Synergizes with Crippling Dissipation and Debilitating Dissipation.
- Illusionary Retribution - Nice trait to have, when you decide to use your shatters. Not amazing, but you get it on the way to Illusionary Elasticity.
- Compounding Power - You will almost always have 3 clones up, the damage increase is great. Synergizes with Deceptive Evasion, the ability of the Greatsword to generate many clones, and Greatsword Training (even more clones).
- Illusionary Elasticity - Absolutely amazing trait, especially when you are using both the Greatsword and the Staff. A must have. Synergizes with Mirror Blade and Winds of Chaos.
Mainly I will use Decoy, Blink, and Null Field. Decoy is great for breaking aggro or just making an extra clone. Blink gives you mobility, which helps a lot in tougher battles. Null Field is one of the strongest Condition removers in the game, AND it strips Boons.
Situationally I will put in Signet of Illusions, Mirror Images, Feedback, Portal, Veil, or Illusion of Life.
As for Elites, I will mainly use Time Warp, occasionally swapping it out for Mass Invisibility for certain dungeon puzzles.
Note: You don't have to use this exact gear, but the focus should be on stacking Power/Precision/Critical Damage, and possibly a bit of Toughness/Vitality for some survivability.
Full Knight's Armor, slotted with Beryl Orbs. Increases Power, Precision, and Critical Damage, while also making you slightly beefier.
Full Berserker's Jewelry.
Berserker's Greatsword slotted with Superior Rune of Ice. Alternatively, a Superior Rune of Fire or Superior Rune of Strength can provide you with a bit of extra damage.
Berserker's Staff slotted with Superior Rune of Perception.
Y u no stack Condition Damage with so many Condition traits?!
The main Conditions I want to take advantage of are Weakness, Vulnerability, and Cripple. Malice does nothing for these, as they only get better with increased duration (which I have).
Questions, comments, concerns?
axjvMember Since 12 Sep 2012
Offline Last Active Dec 19 2012 05:10 PM
- Group Members
- Active Posts 26
- Profile Views 1304
- Member Title Fahrar Cub
- Age Age Unknown
- Birthday Birthday Unknown